NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 619 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Isn't performance suppose to improve?

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jan 2012

Isn't performance suppose to improve?

Newer build better performance, isn't that the way it supposed to work? I went from the original build to build 90 and it looks better(even though the older build looked fine), but its stutters constantly. I had zero stutters before.
    This is the same issue I had with CARS. it ran great when it first came out and when updated I basically couldn't use it again.
    So what options should I try to speed it up, or should I say smooth it out.Its running at 1680 x 1050 x 32
    System I5-2500K CPU 3.30 Ghz
    8Gb RAM
    Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
    Newer build better performance, isn't that the way it supposed to work?
    No.
    Some changes may cause improvements on one configuration but cause problems on other. You keep working on it untill resultant of all these changes will bring good performance and cause no problems.

But while in development, we will encounter various problems.

For example - given build may contain some optimizations for graphics, but may introduce some new feature in physics that consumes more CPU.
    For those of us that were limited by graphics card performance but had enough CPU power, it will be an improvement. In the opposite case it will slow the game down and cause stutters.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    May 2012
    IMHO Nope. They add features and features during development (this is what "development" mean ) so for me performance should drop from build to build. At the end of the development process (or possibly during it) they can improve the program, optimize graphics functions, etc. to lower this impact. Anyway, no miracle, you cannot keep the same CPU/GPU cost from the very first beta build to the final release AFAIK.

Saying that, your machine is pretty good and I will check graphics options in game and in Nvidia driver to try to find which one can produce stutters in your machine. I built a new machine last Friday so I was able to play with nvidia settings. One is interesting: The vsync set to "auto", as it allow the vsync to be set only if your fps is more than 60Hz (if your monitor is 60Hz) and will automatically disable it below. You will avoid the stutter we usually have when fps drop below 60Hz, as the next step with Vsync ON is 30 fps. Anyway, check your settings and by testing one by one you could find which one create this problem. As I said your machine is good so you should be able to play at 60fps or even more IMO.

Edit: K Szczech was faster

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    I did find the stutter only occurs in the pits at Brianza, and at the start of each race with fields around 20 cars. I'm pretty sure my vsync is set to auto BTW.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    I have a very similar system to Bsmooth and the exact same results. This build sucks. It seems that no matter what options I turn down the game won't even get into the 40FPS range- I'm stuck with mid-30's FPS. That's the wierd thing. I turn down options and only really reflections helps.

I won't play at 36FPS. So I'm waiting on the next build. I got in the 60-70 range in the old builds. ISI ****ed up this build big time. It's not something WE are doing- they made a mistake along the way.
    Home of the Blancpain Sprint Series GT Championship! Check us out for clean league racing on a variety of the best rFactor 2 circuits. Also Like the BES Mod on Facebook

Registered
    Dec 2010
    guybo's build

Core i5 2500k
    MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
    6GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
    GTX 460 SSC+
    Onboard Audio 5.1
    T500 RS
    G25 Shifter

My Build
    Model: Home Built
    CPU: Intel E8400 Core Duo 3.0/3.0
    Motherboard: P45T-A
    Memory : 4 GB DDR2
    Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit
    Video: PCI Express 2.0: GTX560Ti 1024MB GDDR5
    Audio: onboard Realtek 5.1
    Wheel: Logitech G25

Card information:
    NVIDIA System Information report created on: 08/03/2012 06:46:09
    System name: RANDY-PC1

[Display]
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Driver version: 296.10
    DirectX support: 11
    CUDA Cores: 384
    Core clock: 850 MHz
    Shader clock: 1701 MHz
    Memory clock: 2052 MHz (4104 MHz data rate)
    Memory interface: 256-bit
    Total available graphics memory: 2815 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB GDDR5
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 1791 MB
    Video BIOS version: 70.24.21.00.60
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2

[Components]

easyDaemonAPIU64.DLL 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    WLMerger.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    daemonu.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    ComUpdatus.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    NvUpdtr.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    NvUpdt.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    nvui.dll 7.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdsync.exe 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdbat.dll 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdapix.dll 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    NVCPL.DLL 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvCplUIR.dll 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvCplUI.exe 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.9573 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.9573 NVIDIA Video Server
    nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Video Server
    NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
    NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
    NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)
    nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.9573 NVIDIA Display Server
    NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA Media Center Library
    nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Display Server
    PhysX 09.12.0213 NVIDIA PhysX
    NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.12.9610 NVIDIA CUDA 4.1.1 driver
    nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.9573 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
    nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

I have a single 32" insignia TV, which I am using as a monitor. I just ran a lap at Spa and had frame rates of 73 to 143 with typical rates of about 100. I don't know if this kind of information is helpful, but my experience with rF2 is satisfactory, so far. I have HDR and shadows off with almost everything else set to max.

Guybo, it looks as if you have a better build than I do... This machine was built about 2-3 years ago, with a video card upgrade the first of this year.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rer8 View Post
    my experience with rF2 is satisfactory, so far. I have HDR and shadows off with almost everything else set to max.
    I don't understand why you are satisfied with shadows and HDR off. For sure quality of visuals are affected.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    I don't understand why you are satisfied with shadows and HDR off. For sure quality of visuals are affected.
    Hi MaXyM,
    Fair question. So I went back and made adjustments.
    All elements set to Full, Max or On, Except:
    Movies Off
    Texture filter - Trilinear
    Sun Occlusion - No
    Road Reflection - No
    Environmental Reflection - No
    Wind & Crowd Movement - No

Resolution 1920X1080 32bit
    AA - 8
    Sync - Off
    FXAA - Off
    High Dynamic Range Imaging - On

FPS @ Spa
    Lowest observed - 63
    Highest observed - 108
    Estimated Average - 80

I had no video artifacts or anomalies, and noticed no significant change in appearance, but it works... I have been very pleased with my Nvidia card. Hope this is helpful for someone....

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I have 450 GTS and if I set everything to max, I'll still be getting 15-20 FPS more in replays than while driving (cockpit view in both cases).

This pretty much means my 450 GTS can handle it, but CPU can't keep up when driving.
    I guess it must have something to do with that "100% CPU usage" problem people are having, even on quad core machines. You have a lot of physics calculation to deal with while driving, and for some reason it seems to burden thread responsible for graphics aswell.

If I can recommend anything it's turning off environment reflections and using High shadow detail instead of Max. There should be noticeable difference between High and Max, while difference between High and Medium or Low will be smaller on this kind of graphics card.

FXAA and HDR should have limited and predictable (almost constant) impact on framerate.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Well tried a few things last night, and finally got smooth framerates, but had to turn shadows to low, and movies off, No FXAA or HDR either, this is using the 60's cars at SPA and at Brianza.
    Last build had everything on including full shadows and movies , and had a smooth framerate, and it visually and drives exactly the same, so what was the improvement, and why did the framerates take such a dive? There has to be some give and take to cause such a difference.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rer8 View Post
    Hi MaXyM,
    Sun Occlusion - No
    Road Reflection - No
    Environmental Reflection - No
    Wind & Crowd Movement - No
    Sun Occlusion, Road and env reflections are a few things which makes difference between rf1 and rf2. Without sun occlusion you will get no difference in lighting when sun is covered by clouds. Without env reflections you get no realistic reflection on glossy objects including glass and cars livery. Without road refl water effect as well as mirage one are missing.

In other word, you cut out half of new graphical features. So still i'm curious you are ok with it.
    Since those features affects final fps significantly I understand that it may be a way how to get more fps but then it is far from 'being satisfactory'.
    I think we shouldn't do benchmarks with such settings disabled.

What I suggest when looking for compromises, is too use FXAA instead of MSAA. Also I did tests, and FXAA enabled/forced by drivers got me 1 fps more (out of 51 total) comparing to FXAA enabled in rF2. FXAA may be good solution especially if you run in high resolution (I can see you are using full hd)
    Also I would suggest to use aniso filtering instead of 3-linerar. It gives better quality for sure with relative low performance hit.
    Last edited by MaXyM; 08-03-12 at 09:51 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    MaXyM
    I didn't know that... I must go to work but will give this a test and will reply this evening... The last time I tried reflections I hated the results. I don't recall the frame rates but I will give it a shot. Best Regards

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Build 101 has fixed the FPS issues for me.

But rer8- you illustrated my point PERFECTLY. Why, when I have a more recent system, do I get worse results? This is what makes no sense to me. Let's hope ISI doesn't revisit this issue again. I see that they are trying different things to improve and that is the path to success- but what pisses me off is when it's inferred that we are the problem. That is the path to failure.

This process is taking ISI way longer than they though it would and way longer than we thought it would. As long as our 12 months starts from the time that the final build (or first non-beta build anyway) drops, I don't mind. I consider this time free-play time and that's OK. I don't mind paying the $42 or whatever it was as long as I am not paying for 36FPS due to a **** up by ISI in a build.
    Home of the Blancpain Sprint Series GT Championship! Check us out for clean league racing on a variety of the best rFactor 2 circuits. Also Like the BES Mod on Facebook

Where I race 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Mine is liquid smooth in builds 90-101 since going to a 40" TV and getting rid of the 3 screens but over 20 cars on the start line at Spa it's just almost hopeless up to T3 when they start to spread out a bit, you'd think 8 cores would be enough but not yet, I did move on the GTX460 to a 570 and that helped a lot, roughly 1/3 faster frames.

This is the only game where Vsync on has helped hugely.

On a side note the virtual mods are brilliant, running all cars and tracks has bought in a new dynamic for us and being able to alt-tab to change the server settings is again, great.