Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #841
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 Photo/Screenshot sharing profile LiveRacers Driver Page iGP Manager Link 

Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    What about damage? Is it going to be improved in some way? in which one?
    Yes, but possibly not activated until in the beta or with initial release. 100% sure of changes, just not sure when they'll go 'final' and you'll get to use them in the software.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Tim, is the video you mentioned on Facebook still coming today?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #843

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 Photo/Screenshot sharing profile LiveRacers Driver Page iGP Manager Link 

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERbreaks View Post
    No but people care about their future sim and they want to give their feedback. For example I hope reflections will be dynamic and not static on the car. Anyway we still have to see a proper video with HDR enabled and the last stuff.
    Unfortunately even though you're getting a cool (very cool) video today posted by friends of ours in a couple of hours, HDR isn't enabled on that as it was started before the HDR tech was as stable as it is now. Still, as I said before, we are starting to put some work into showing you what things are going to look like at least for the modders open beta.

Today's video is really more a really good showing (in my opinion - as best as you can show in a video) of physics and the quality of the track itself. The track is also a brand-new never announced real track.

Quote Originally Posted by bokoboko View Post
    i see ur point..

but i didnt see any mentions about feeling except that ur talking about and noone is interesting about the feeling.I mean cmon,are u serious guys? The first thing is the feeling-physics.
    I saw many ideas thougts questions about graphics..hd photos etc.

I just dont want to see rfactor 2 not having at least a good feeling etc.I dont want to be disapointed cause i find dificult to keep up with any sim out there..
    Anyway i think they can give us some info.At least did they try it to make it very good or just an ffb that when i go over kerbs my wheel will go nuts and everyone is happy?
    I mean i want to feel weight transfer,when i lock wheel has to be lighter etc...
    I want to know cause no matter how good graphics,sounds will have i want to feel all that.If i cant feel the road,the weight of the car when has traction or when it looses it whats the point?
    I hope they work on it and took it seriously as the graphics etc.
    I still want some info if they can give us.
    Thanks
    I can only really say that I've never had a much fun and felt the driving as much. Unfortunately no screenshot, no video or even a post by me is going to do the job of giving you what you need answered here. Only you can determine that you like and feel these things...

Quote Originally Posted by shum94 View Post
    Exactly lol
    It's just i'm in a very good mood on fridays, and i'd be even more with some updates.

Some would say it's best to publish stuff when i'm in good mood
    In a good mood today? It's really close to Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch-SCO View Post
    Back to some ingame questions, some guys mentioned wanting the ability to be able to force graphic settings on the server, do you know if we will have any options to do this tim.

I was thinking of the weather options, if its raining the spray of the car in front will slow you down as visualy you won't be able to see the track as clear, if the weather detail is adjustable it means someone on the lower end pc will be seeing more than the guy using the highend spec pc.
    Some of that LOD stuff may extend into the open beta, but I haven't seen many screens from the guys testing with low-end PCs that are that different to what I see yet, but of course in testing I am sure things might change one way or the other later.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    Was I wrong to be expecting another Q&A by now?
    At this point, yes. I feel that it is more important the devs spend maximum time bringing you the software more than info about the software. It's very close to you being able to answer a lot of your own questions, but maybe we'll squeeze one in.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #844

October is near and rF 2 is supposedly to be schedule for 2011 and it's very quiet. Some infos about the developpment would be nice.
    If I say it's in development, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle Lints View Post
    Well. They said that they dont comment release date but question is. Do they know it or not. If they do then they must have good reason for keep it secret. If they dont then this may not be released when we expect that. I mean we maybe dont see it in 2011. So if I get answer that ISI knows exactly when game will be out then thats enaugh for me For now
    You don't know a release date for software unless you have a marketing department or a publisher pushing a date on you.

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to drive rF2 in 2011, the open modders beta will be this year. The initial release, however, although I think 2011, that's what's up in the air. You don't know how long a testing period is going to be if you're completely honest and not being pushed to release the beta as a finished product. And the fact is, the initial release of rFactor 2 won't be the final, either. rFactor 1 didn't get onto DVD as version 1.0.

Most software released on the market today is forced out on a particular date. Marketing teams like to be able to say very early when you'll be able to buy it (I certainly would love to with rFactor 2, but we're not in that position as we're our own publisher).

I can't tell you how many times I have bought a game and it simply doesn't run... I have to wait for the first patch, the second patch, etc, just to be able to play the game. A game that I thought was ready to play (perhaps naively) on release day.

Software development seems totally random when you're on the inside of it. Unexpected and expected things, which all take time, spring up. If you have a release date, you either have to push that release date, which is a marketing nightmare, or you have to put out a buggy product pretending it's final and hope your testing team can work quick enough that by the time everybody gets their DVDs you have a patch ready to go.

Fortunately, and I know it's annoying to not know, Gjon has too much respect for the customer (and experience) to just pluck a date out of the air and hope it sticks.

Sorry for the long one... But one of the things that annoys me the most these days as a consumer is the 'release day patch' and betas being labelled as final. /rant

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #845

Quote Originally Posted by sg333 View Post
    Tim, is the video you mentioned on Facebook still coming today?
    Yes.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Thanks

Can you clarify 'open modders beta' please? Will this be a limited signup or how will that work?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #847

Current plan is to have it open. Mentioning modders is because really that what we'll want testing at that time (although that doesn't mean we expect no feedback about anything else).

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERbreaks View Post
    ^ The helmet cam give you a false/wrong perspective of what you would see in real life. Every bump and shake gets exaggerated.
    Agreed

Agree but i like the fact we are at the level of the helmet and not with a cam in the far back of the cockpit.
    Doesn't really matter because the cameras view is so wide. I cant read the gauges with the video fullscreen so it isn't good enough to represent actually "being there".

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    Current plan is to have it open. Mentioning modders is because really that what we'll want testing at that time (although that doesn't mean we expect no feedback about anything else).
    I can assure your.. Feedback will be had.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Something is wrong...

I saw this right now ,

and this is what i call bad markting.

Video image is bad, color are bad, come on, i want physics and FFB but i want good graphics too....

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuno Lourenšo View Post
    this is what i call bad markting.

Video image is bad, color are bad, come on, i want physics and FFB but i want good graphics too....
    This appears to be filmed off of a television.. fail on ISR's part.

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #851

It's a promo video based on the movie, Grand Prix. Many may even recognize specific camera placements.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Tim, please give us a video of real ingame quality. 30 seconds is enough.

That one is very poor even if based in a movie....

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #853

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno Lourenšo View Post
    Tim, please give us a video of real ingame quality. 30 seconds is enough.

That one is very poor even if based in a movie....
    That footage doesn't exist. At the time this video was started, for example, HDR wasn't stable, so it couldn't be turned on for all shots, so it was turned off. Same with some other effects. And while HDR is now more stable the software is still in a beta state, so these issues still apply in some areas with this beta software which is being beta tested.

If you want legitimate ingame quality from an unfinished beta software which incomplete testing status and WIP effects just so you can tell us how it doesn't look right, even though we know it doesn't look right, because it isn't how it even looks when it is right, then I'm not sure I understand why. I would focus on what you CAN see in the video. You are seeing mirage heat haze on the track surface, you are seeing heat haze behind cars, you are seeing much improved shadowing, you are seeing the physics as best as they can be shown and some awesome content, while paying homage to one of the greatest racing movies and eras of motorsports in history.

Edit: But, I'll see what I can do. It might have to be in an F3 car though, they're enormous fun.

edit 2: saying the same thing in two places, not sure which said it better, but worth reading the other maybe... http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...ll=1#post14009

PC Specification 

Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey Windle View Post
    Hi Tim, long time no "see".

I was wondering if bad manual gear shifts will cause damage, so you could burn out your clutch or lose a gear.

Also curious if any new features for turbos would be added. Realistic garage settings, turbo lag, sound effects, etc.

Hi Tim,

I work close with Aubrey on 91HE and future projects and like to know if you have the answer about he asked a while ago
    Also we like to know the possibility of implement Qualfiy engines to use in qualfiy and switch to race engine for race without leaving rfactor for online/offline racing.
    - different tire compounds option for all 4 tires in garage
    - Exhaust Blown Diffusers http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/1...from-the-past/

FD
    many thanks in advance and we wait with great interest for your reaction
    When Playboys Ruled the World
    http://vimeo.com/17038774

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    the open modders beta will be this year
    First time i notice this term. I thought it would be for everyone. Only for modders ??

Edit : i saw your answer.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Edit: But, I'll see what I can do. It might have to be in an F3 car though, they're enormous fun.
    A couple of laps in an F3 car at even Mills would help use get a 'feel' of the physics. We understand by now it might not look pretty

One more question, was the big mother track Scott talking about Monaco??

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #857

Quote Originally Posted by sg333 View Post
    A couple of laps in an F3 car at even Mills would help use get a 'feel' of the physics. We understand by now it might not look pretty

One more question, was the big mother track Scott talking about Monaco??
    Yup. It wasn't the length, it was the model complexity and object complexity.

I personally don't believe in videos showing physics. It's possible, yes, but I believe I could video myself driving an arcade game realistically (that's the main difference, whether you drive realistically or not, because I'm pretty sure I could make the physics look terrible if I had wheel lag, or just slow hands). But I see what you want, will see what I can do.

PC Specification 

You can't determine physics from watching a video. I've never understood how people can look at a few seconds of a cockpit view video and say this or that about the handling of a car in a game/sim.

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #859

Wow, nice to have someone agree with me on that. Didn't expect that.

I'm not going to let my personal opinion stop me from doing what's wanted though.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Yes i can.

But since you can't, when you have the software, how do you judge the physics, you just fire a lap eyes closed and feel the ffb ? It's all about the correct representation of your actions/interactions into the screen.

You observe a video of real racing and you can't see when the car slides or not ? Oversteering, understeering ?

Can't you see, physics here are not right representation of real deal. Hotlapping like crazy using a keyboard (meaning full pressure on throttle, braking) ?

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Now this is a video of me in rFactor and even i reckon at 1mn55 something is wrong, the curb should have punished for the touch i did. This is a way better representation of real driving.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

rFactor 2 and it's 400 hz physic engine and better ffb should even be way better than this and hopefully avoid this kind of behavior in this video :

2mn35 the car goes in oversteering and i catch it quick but i fight a code and i act 2 times to get it back.

Just watching this 5 sec in the straight line and i know what kind of "physics" i shall have...