Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Mediafire
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 943 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Graphical Matrix of HDR and Sun Occlusion Effect

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Nov 2010

Smile Graphical Matrix of HDR and Sun Occlusion Effect

Ever wonder about how the Sun Occlusion and HDR looks in game?

Here's my graphical matrix.

So images on the left are with HDR off, on the right HDR on.

Personally, I really couldn't tell if there was any effect (visually) of occlusion. But occlusion really does has effect on FPS. With occlusion on, I will lose ~3 FPS.

HDR visually more pronounced, as it should be. But since build 60 the effect is much softer now. HDR also eats the FPS. With HDR on, I will lose ~3 FPS.

So if I'm using both HDR and Occlusion, I will lose ~6 FPS in total.
    Last edited by taufikp; 03-20-12 at 11:26 PM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race Modding Group: ~bTp~ 

Registered
    Dec 2011
    nice comparison... thanks.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @BSNismo 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I think we are gonna all be suprised of what this game is capable of come release. Just adding some bloom makes a big difference, let alone the AO etc that is planned. Once reflections are nailed it's gonna look really nice. Shot below i have only added a tiny bit of bloom.

Last edited by FONismo; 03-21-12 at 12:03 AM.
    Train your mind and your body will follow!

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I do like effects such as bloom, sun flares, or motion blur. But in my opinion, such camera effects should not be used while we're in cockpit view/head cam. Those effects will be available only for external cameras.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taufikp View Post
    Personally, I really couldn't tell if there was any effect (visually) of occlusion. But occlusion really does has effect on FPS. With occlusion on, I will lose ~3 FPS.
    It should change the lightning if a cloud is between you and the sun. You need more clouds to test it.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosch View Post
    It should change the lightning if a cloud is between you and the sun. You need more clouds to test it.
    Ah thanks, I will test it.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Dec 2010
    exactly

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taufikp View Post
    I do like effects such as bloom, sun flares, or motion blur. But in my opinion, such camera effects should not be used while we're in cockpit view/head cam. Those effects will be available only for external cameras.
    We can argue about for example motion blur which depends on what direction to want to look at right now. But bloom you can see by your eyes always. Monitor itself emits too less energy to generate contrast forcing you to see bloom. So, I'm ok with this effect emulated by a game.

To the subject: Sun occlusion is related to clouds imo. It makes changes in scene light intensity depending on clouds covering the sun. (I can see it has been answered already )

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Yes, you're right. I guess bloom and glint is still okay to emulate for head cam because we can see them with our own eyes.

rFactor 2 Not Validated 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosch View Post
    Precisely. Sun occlusion in rFactor2 seems to refer to the effect of the clouds occluding the light from the sun. If there's no clouds, there's nothing for the light to be occluded by!

Registered
    Nov 2010

Graphical Matrix of FXAA and in game AA

Here's the graphical comparison between FXAA and in game anti-aliasing when in use.

FXAA and AA Comparison #1 by simfactor

Click here for more comparison

edit:
    Just a note, the FXAA used in above picture does not come from third party plugin. rF2 already has it internally.
    Last edited by taufikp; 03-27-12 at 09:07 AM. Reason: FXAA clarification

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Does anybody know if FXAA will work in rF1?, also, if you do, do you have a link?

Thank You,

mj

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Just a note, the FXAA used in above picture does not come from third party plugin. rF2 already has it internally.

And for your question, yes, FXAA Injector Tool (the d3d9 injector) will work with rF1 (and rF2 as well). My video below shows rF2 running with FXAA Injector Tool.

AFAIK, d3d9 injectors will not work properly (most of the time they simply do not work at all) when in game anti-aliasing is active. So make sure to turn off in-game AA first prior to run with d3d9 injectors.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    My FXAA while ticked doesn't seem to do anything unless I have AA turned on also, so taufikp your picture comparsion above remains the same output between the two on my system. I think FXAA is an overide mode that still requires you to had a level of AA selected.
    4770K@4.5ghz,Corsair H100i,MSI Z87 MPower,8gb Team XTreem 2400mhz,GTX 780 SC ACX@1150mhz,Corsair Force GS 128gb SSD,CM HAF922,Logitech G25/G19, nV3D V2, Benq XL2411T, Win7

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I was thinking the same. I found this by accident. rF2's FXAA in my system works even when the in game anti-aliasing is turned off (as shown in the picture). Maybe this is a bug?