NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 765 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Grand Prix the Killer Years

Registered
    Feb 2012

Grand Prix the Killer Years

They really beat up Jackie Stewart back in the day but I think he's God's gift to racing safety. Great program about the F1 dangers in the 60's and early 70's

rFactor 2 Not Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Jan 2012
    And this has to do with RF2 because?
    Or are you informing this program is on? What channel, what time?

Why pollute a simracing forum with this?

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Pollution comment aside, ya, it was on last night.
    You can watch the whole thing here...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xml...ler-years_auto

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Mar 2012
    its an intense documentary, the last minutes of it are shocking but reality at that time. Glad that they pushed safety. And big props to Sir Jacky Stewart and "sponsors" for pushing safety on the track and in the cars
    "BMW are for alfa males, Alfa's are for nice people"

PC Specification 

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Though JYS can go too far in his assesment of what is and is not OMGLIFEANDDEATH these days he has saved many a life, all credit to him.

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Fleming View Post
    They really beat up Jackie Stewart back in the day but I think he's God's gift to racing safety. Great program about the F1 dangers in the 60's and early 70's
    Tx Tucker to share it with us.
    LeZaz

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Dec 2010
    You can't go too far with safety when you're dealing with motor-racing. There have been thousands of incidents in the past decade that could have been fatal if it were not for some luck.

If anyone hasn't read JYS's autobiography I suggest you do so.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 Photo/Screenshot sharing profile LiveRacers Driver Page iGP Manager Link 

I bought the DVD from the UK, it's excellent. I linked it from our FB a while back.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I watched this last night. Really good. I wish "The Quick and the Dead" (not the Sharon Stone western) was still in print.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter View Post
    I watched this last night. Really good. I wish "The Quick and the Dead" (not the Sharon Stone western) was still in print.
    That's also a good one, and very much reflects the time in which it was made. Interesting to note the difference in attitude towards safety back then compared to now.

Even just the title, very 'in your face'. I would warn those who watch it is shows fatal accidents and the footage is graphic.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Excellent documentary.

I also recommend "Closer to the Edge", while it's about the bikes, it captures the same fanaticism about speed and danger.

12.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 Photo/Screenshot sharing profile LiveRacers Driver Page iGP Manager Link 

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter View Post
    I've not even seen that on eBay for a while now. Been looking for it.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Nov 2011
    I watched the "The Killer Years" last night. Very educational. Much can be said about the insane lack of safety and disregard for the lives of the drivers.

But on a lighter note... Tim, watching the old footage from Spa... those stinkin' wooden posts were everywhere!

Registered
    Jan 2012
    I just watched it again the other night... Is it just me, or did the narrator say in the beginning that the championship in '61 was between von Trips and Clark? That's not right at all...

[EDIT] Nevermind, she says he lined up next to clark... But never mentions Hill in the running for the championship. I guess that's about what it was at the time, too; Hill received little to no recognition for his championship title.

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15

Hill was the Prost of that era, IMHO. Undramatic but almost flawless.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I don't think Phil Hill received too little recognition for the '61 title. I think it was simply over-shadowed by the tragic events at Monza. Von Trips only needed one 3rd place from the last two races so he was favourite to win obviously. Hill claimed 5 of the 8 poles so he clearly was quick even if he only converted a couple. If anything though, the sharknose stole the headlines because it was clearly the best car in what was the new 'not so spectacular' formula.

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17

Yeah. The acclaim was good in the USA I think, but different in most everywhere else.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Pollution comment aside, ya, it was on last night.
    You can watch the whole thing here...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xml...ler-years_auto
    thanks for the link I'll watch that later. Saw Sky SPorts F1 channel launch then the Legends shows afterwards with Fittipaldi & Stewart, both of them talked about the dangers back then.

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Jan 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezp9...eature=related

I hadnt seen this video before, just listen to that engine ...beautiful !

And this excellent video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVRe...eature=related
    Last edited by thndr; 03-12-12 at 07:25 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Thats an amazing flim (the killer years) massive respect to all those who drove in those years.

Have you guys watched this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast