Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
NRT Servers
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 1419 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Unread threads marked as read

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010

Unread threads marked as read

The marking of threads as read or unread does not work correctly. I haven't figured it out exactly yet but some threads with new unread posts seem to get marked as read. Sometimes threads have been marked as read even though I havenít even visited them at all.

I guess there is some type of timestamp check and maybe my local time zone (CET) compared to server time screw things up. But as totally unread threads also have this problem there must be something more.

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    Genrally with vB the new threads list is determined by actually visiting the thread not by timestamps afaik.

Normal behaviour is only to mark the forums as read when either of the following occurs.
    i) You visit the thread
    ii) You mark a forum/thread as read in the Forum/Thread Tools Menu.
    iii) clicking 'Mark forums read' in the Foum Actions menu.

Not sure about the settings here specifically but they are the way it works by default in out installations.

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    Ok, scratch that.

I've just had something similar/related happen. On viewing the what's new search all the threads that returned where showing as read.
    Going to page 2 failed to return a page as the search had expired, only seconds after doing it.
    Performing a new search straight after returned the usual list of unread threads with quick links to first unread post.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

It should be based on inactivity. Perhaps you are spending a lot of time on a thread?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    In vBulletin options/vBulletin options/General Settings of the vB you will find item named: Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
    Set it do 3rd one: Database (automatic)

it will cause what is needed and work as expected.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Reading through the list of unread treads from the bottom up, after a while I pass through (unread) treads marked as read.

Entering the forum today I see most sub-forums containing new unread threads. Selecting New Posts gives one hit. Moving back to the forum top-level and only one sub-forum has unread threads now. Only the German forum contains unread threads, and even the Italian forum which I never ever visited is marked as read.

Threads are definitely marked as read in some strange way and not only by visiting them...

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    It should be based on inactivity. Perhaps you are spending a lot of time on a thread?
    Yes, absolutely. I idle a lot with the browser still in the forum. Hmm... Are other threads marked as read if I'm inactive on the forum?

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Yes it basically believes that if you leave the forum (which is what idling looks like to the browser) you're done with it for that visit. I can change how it works, but I think if I did that it would confuse way more people than having it how it is now.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Aha, ok. I see… I think I understand. Unread means new unread posts since last visit. All threads are automatically made read as soon I leave the forum then. Read does not mean I have read the thread but that it does not contain any new posts since the last visit. No wonder I got confused…
    Last edited by Novis; 10-13-10 at 09:42 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Yes it basically believes that if you leave the forum (which is what idling looks like to the browser) you're done with it for that visit. I can change how it works, but I think if I did that it would confuse way more people than having it how it is now.
    From our experience with vBulletin best results you get setting vB to what i wrote a few posts ago.
    We did some experiments with other options ending up with 3rd one.

If you hit thread marked "unread" it turns into read immediately. if you change status of all thread in forum to 'read' forum turns into 'read' immediately too. IMO it is most straightforward

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Thread/Forum Read Marking Type 1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read.

This is the current selected option. Please remove automatic marking of threads as read. As the forum grows it is impossible to keep control of which threads you have read as you cant read them all at once in one session. The option is there to manually mark threads as read if we want to.

12.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Let me know how this goes.

13.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13
    Luc Van Camp's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @ISITrackTeam 

This seems much better now, thanks ...

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    What happened?? Now none of the threads are marked as read for me. They all come up as unread.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Threads marking method has been changed to new one. That's why all are marked as unread.
    use Forum Actions/Mark Forums Read to mark all messages as read.After that live will be easier
    Last edited by MaXyM; 10-14-10 at 07:06 PM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Thanks!

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Let me know how this goes.
    Thanks!