NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 830 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Does rF2's developer mode really include development mode to create/edit content?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @SuperRantam rF2 Rank Laptimes Modding Group: HistorX 

Registered
    Oct 2010

Does rF2's developer mode really include development mode to create/edit content?

Hi,

after reading the documents ISI released yesterday about packaging and track creation in rF2, as well as that beta review at SimHQ I've got a good number of answers to questions i had on my mind. But I still have one which I'd like to have an answer for:

Does rF2's developer mode really include a development mode to create/edit content?

I'll explain myself a bit: in rFactor we had to create/modify text files in order to develop physics, sounds, user interface, etc. That means that (with some exceptions) you had to go out of the game, open that text file, edit the numbers/parameters manually, close & save the file and then relaunch the game to see your changes applied instead of using a "real" developer mode which allows to change parameters/content directly inside the game (using an "on the screen" interface). That developer mode does exist in rF but is not available for the general public/modders.

So what I'm asking is just if rF2 is going to have that "real" developer mode.

I'll be happy enough just having a "Yes" or "No" as an answer

Lot of thanks in advance!

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Knowledgeable member
    I saw this posted a while back, is this the sort of thing your looking for?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification rF2 Rank Laptimes Modding Group: virtua_lm 

Registered
    Nov 2011
    From the descriptions, think of it like the AIW Editor for rFactor 1. Not an all-encompassing editor that lets you adjust every variable live from inside the sim.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @SuperRantam rF2 Rank Laptimes Modding Group: HistorX 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    @mianiak, is that kind of thing. But that one is just focused on graphical/weather conditions/controllers, and nothing of that is really related to create/modify mod's content (physics, sounds, user interface, etc).

That dev mode exist for sure (as it does in rF1). I'm just asking if it's going to be available for the general public/modders this time

Regards

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Luc Van Camp's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @ISITrackTeam 

Yes, I'd say it's similar to the rF1 AIW Editor, but it's been extended for the new technology.
    Being a track guy, I'm not sure how accessible the physics files are from within mod development mode though. It is more modder-friendly than rF1 for sure.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Thanks Luc, I really appreciate the fast answer If rF2's dev mode offers something similar to rF1's (I'm not talking about the AIW but the rest) then rF2 is going to be way easier to mod!

Regards

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    I am looking forward to this!

rFactor 2 Not Validated 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I'm wondering why the ISI staff wake up so early.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    to go to work?

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I think they said at some point that it's not needed to restart the game for physics changes now.

Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    I'm wondering why the ISI staff wake up so early.
    Maybe they haven't been able to sleep..

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Just to confirm that (as far as i've seen) the developer mode doesn't include the "real development tools" I wrote about in my first post. Only the AIW, camera and those few things are there.

So, to create/edit physics, sounds, UI, etc. we have to still doing it editing plain text files. That's a pity, I thought rF2 was going to be more modder friendly than rF1

Regards

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I don't even know how to edit the current files with a text editor :/

Can we not change the damage models and physics yet? Or do we need unreleased dev tools?
    Live Fast, Die Young.
    Check out my YouTube!

14.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #14
    Michael Borda's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated 

The simple answer is that we still edit physics using text. In developer mode, changes are instantly applied when going out on the track though. No need to restart the game to test any changes (except for those made upgrades.ini). We do have an internal tool to help analyse the tire files, and a basic starter guide will be released for this in the near future.

In the mean time physics example files are provided as the rTrainer ..\rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles\rTrainer
    WinMerge is a good tool to help visualize the differences between text files.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Well, I'm VERY happy to say I was totally mistaken!!! The developer functionalities are indeed there!!!

This is the best thing rF2 could include, lot of thanks indeed ISI!!!

Regards

Ps. Thanks for your answer anyway, Michael

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Is it just me? When I try to run the Developer mode, my computer screen goes blank, and I have to do a hard reboot. Single and Online are working fine.

Any ideas? thanks

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Photo/Screenshot sharing profile Where I race Modding Group: F1SR 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Hey Jerry I think its because the Developers mode is set on a different rF2 launch.. its in a seperate file it has its own launch exe so you may want to point your GFX card to that EXE as well just in case..

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by F1lover View Post
    Hey Jerry I think its because the Developers mode is set on a different rF2 launch.. its in a seperate file it has its own launch exe so you may want to point your GFX card to that EXE as well just in case..
    This didn't help, ISI have any ideas? thx