Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Mediafire
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 984 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A few laps of Monaco onboard

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    I think people are getting hung up on flatspots. If you watch a good slowmo of a lockup in modern F1 (for example) you can see the 'burnt' patch of rubber going round as the wheel starts to turn again, even with some smoke emanating from it for a few rotations. It seems more like that's what we're seeing in this video, rather than a decent flatspot. (it would seem possible - though I have no personal experience - such a mark would last longer on tyres that are softer and actually produce a flatspot - since that section of rubber will have less contact with the road and not be 'cleaned up'. On a very hard tyre there is no actual depression created, and the affected area is scrubbed clean fairly quickly. Or am I just talking out of you know where? )
    As Tim mentioned a few times already, those were pretty hard tyres - I think a lot harder than what is considered "hard" in modern GT tyres (like Michelin's S9), not to mention Pirelli's F1 tyres (where even "hard" compound is still relatively soft).
    That's why I was curious, was that flat spot on the video some sort of a bug or Tim just forgot to set "tyre wear rate" from "x100" to "normal" ;-) Also, the fact how fast that flatspot disappeared, suggests that something is wrong there.

PC Specification 

You're not going to flatspot a tire at that speed.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Tim, as for the 5GB file... maybe you could repack it into 2 parts (so, each would be ~2,5GB) with WinRar and upload? That should solve the problem (regardless, what is causing the issue - server soft or client's website browsers).

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LesiU View Post
    As Tim mentioned a few times already, those were pretty hard tyres - I think a lot harder than what is considered "hard" in modern GT tyres (like Michelin's S9), not to mention Pirelli's F1 tyres (where even "hard" compound is still relatively soft).
    That's why I was curious, was that flat spot on the video some sort of a bug or Tim just forgot to set "tyre wear rate" from "x100" to "normal" ;-) Also, the fact how fast that flatspot disappeared, suggests that something is wrong there.
    Hmm. The whole point of my post is that maybe it's not a flatspot, but a patch of 'burnt' surface rubber. (I don't think the process is as simple as 'burning', but I'm well out of my depth here)

Not only am I well aware those tyres are hard, that's actually the core of my argument - soft tyres that flatspot then 'protect' the area (since it doesn't contact the road as much/hard), while hard tyres barely change shape at all and therefore the affected area maintains contact with the road.

But, once again I'm looking at it and saying "hmm... maybe there's another explanation, since it doesn't really 'work' as a flatspot" and you're looking at it and saying "it doesn't 'work' like a flatspot, so something's wrong". Wouldn't normally consider myself a 'glass half full' guy, either.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Oh, yeah, somehow, I didn't get exactly what you mean. Sorry about that
    You might be right and that could fit. Brake lockup too short to flat spot such a hard tyre, but long enough to heat it so much, that it got burned.... still, would like to hear what devs can say about it

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    More blurring is needed on the sidewalls and internal brake and rim components. The tire treads blur properly as if they had speed but the rest of the moving bits just look like quick flashes.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeosPantera View Post
    More blurring is needed on the sidewalls and internal brake and rim components. The tire treads blur properly as if they had speed but the rest of the moving bits just look like quick flashes.
    agree. needs considerably more blur. I've always thought this was very tricky to get right.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    Hmm. The whole point of my post is that maybe it's not a flatspot, but a patch of 'burnt' surface rubber. (I don't think the process is as simple as 'burning', but I'm well out of my depth here)
    Yeh, as you said, it won't flat spot proper at that speed but locking up will still give that visual effect for a short period after the event.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    Stealing this gif too.

Minor detail I don't really care about but thought I'd point out in case it hand't been spotted (I'm one of the many hundred eagle eyed people have)... but the left hand glove of the driver appears to go through the 'window' as it reaches up to grab the steering wheel.

Downloaded the WMV, looking forward to watching it again!

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Hibbard View Post
    The only thing that bugged me was the hand animation. Racing 101... shuffle steer.... No one goes hand over hand in a race car.
    Yes, and no

Drivers catching a large slide in a road car (or similar) do go hand over hand - shuffling is just too slow if you need to give the wheel several complete rapid turns.

But, in most onboard vids I've seen, of racing cars at racing speed, 95% of the steering is done without moving the hands on the wheel at all - just 9-3, turning til the arms are well crossed, giving a good ~450° total rotation.

Looking at Monaco onboards though, where there's obviously a special case in the hairpin, pretty much all the video I've seen has drivers either just keeping their hands where they are, or (especially when they approach 500°+ total rotation) they move their hands on the wheel before they turn in - thereby achieving the extra lock needed as their arms cross over.

The problem from a game development point of view, is similar to that faced with gearchanges: hands have to move before the actual event happens. If you want to make the movement and speed look right, you have to predict when it will be needed - and in doing so open up the possibility of hands shifting on the wheel approaching a corner that doesn't need the extra lock, or still needing the hand-over-hand when a driver unexpectedly uses that much lock (and, similarly, a hand moving towards a gear lever ready to change gear as the revs climb... only to have the driver back off and the whole movement looks silly).

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Modding Group: Finns on track 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    PS: I'm wondering (couldn't see it in this clip), will you see the rear axle rotate on the 60's formula cars? It was very obvious in real life, and CARS managed to capture that as well, but I have yet to see it in an rFactor 2 clip (I could be wrong).
    That was possible in rF1 too, so I expect it to be in rF2 as well. However I would like to see the half shaft to actually be attached to transmission and not move up/down in direct relation to tire movement.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @clujmao 

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Nice vid Tim !! ,I hope when you have time , make to us one with rain

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE View Post
    Minor detail I don't really care about but thought I'd point out in case it hand't been spotted (I'm one of the many hundred eagle eyed people have)... but the left hand glove of the driver appears to go through the 'window' as it reaches up to grab the steering wheel.
    And have you noticed holes in right hand geometry near elbow?
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by K Szczech View Post
    And have you noticed holes in right hand geometry near elbow?
    I saw that... it's needing a vertex weld lol...

Registered
    Oct 2010
    One of guys at our forum spotted that Tim drove very fast over a kerb at 0:36 and said that it should break suspension.

After listening to Sir Jackie Stewart here I'd say he may be right about this: LINK

Even if there were major differences in 1971 cars, it's much slower corner that Jackie talks about.

Of course I'm not trying to start a discussion here. I'm no expert on these cars but I'm hoping Tim will be able to refer to this. Perhaps it's about damage settings or some kinds of collisions / damage are not implemented (or not yet).

I'd really appreciate a sim where drivers would cut corners at their own risk. Look what happened to Felipe Massa or Sebastian Vettel recently (although in Vettel's case it could be some other cause).
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

Registered
    Nov 2011
    crossing the arms is also mentioned by Sir Jackie Stewart

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I could use some suggestions. I've never been into video work, so I'm behind the times. I can d/l and view the H264 vodeo via quicktime but I don't have anything that can burn this to a dvd. What program do I need to burn this stuff?

I'd also like to get more simracing HD videos but can't seem to find anything that's not degraded for use on you tube. Any idea where I can find any more high quality videos? Any sim is ok as long as it's good quality.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Hay, Tim. I've got a question. You mentioned you messed up some gear shifts. That sounds interesting as realistic gearshifting is something I'm anticipating a lot. How is the gearshifting simulated in rF2? Is it realistic this time round?

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Any word on what the FOV was while driving here? It isn't terrible. I'm sure it is in the 50's vertical.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    What about some Spa teasing

PS : What's up it's Friday !

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast