Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Mediafire
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 988 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A few laps of Monaco onboard

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Is the open beta only with one track?

Registered
    Nov 2010
    wonderful , so when you release the game?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Fantastic vid thanks Tim! Loved the sound reverb off the tunnel walls (I downloaded the middle of the 3 options), the crowd cheering was great, the suspension movements and seeing the brakes in the wheels are ace.
    The track...OH MY GOD the track is glorious, every little detail is there, brilliant work to whom ever did this!

Simply cannot wait now!

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
    Fantastic vid thanks Tim! Loved the sound reverb off the tunnel walls (I downloaded the middle of the 3 options), the crowd cheering was great, the suspension movements and seeing the brakes in the wheels are ace.
    The track...OH MY GOD the track is glorious, every little detail is there, brilliant work to whom ever did this!

Simply cannot wait now!
    me too

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @Martin_Keets 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Very impressed with the video. Fantastic stuff. Thank you

PC Specification 

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Downloaded the Xvid twice, keep getting CRC errors

Anyone downloaded it and have it working?

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    Nice feedback.

With the audio, I believe there's a mixture of the Youtube compression, and the fact that a lot of the sounds are being bounced off buildings and walls, creating some of the things being noticed. The WMV is a lot more accurate to what you actually hear in rF2. The audio does sound good to me when driving though, the squealing sounds very good IMHO... I've only seen a few people notice, be sure to listen out for the crowd noises and other stuff, too.I purposely locked up the left-front on the way into the hairpin, make sure to keep your eyes out for that in the WMV... I'm not sure how well it came across on Youtube or was noticed.
    Yeah, I noticed the crowd sounds! A real nice addition/improvement! Though, the crowd sound did seem to fade in/out kinda sharp--it might could use just a little bit extra time to fade, IMO (I know, WIP, so it may just be first pass at mixing...).

I also noticed a few different tire sounds...think I noticed some understeer chuddering in there. Definitely the best audio feedback I've heard in a sim. Seems like all the others just have one sound they play at different volumes and a slight bit of pitch shift.

When I get home tonight I'll definitely have to d/l the higher-quality files!
    Last edited by blakboks; 11-23-11 at 09:13 PM.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #88
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpymoo View Post
    Downloaded the Xvid twice, keep getting CRC errors

Anyone downloaded it and have it working?
    The site tells me it is the right amount of bytes. Are you getting a 5.05GB file downloaded, or is it stopping before that?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Of course, yes. I would argue that some racing tires from the 1960s, considering the stresses they were put through, were less sensitive to anything than todays road tires if put through the same stresses.

But anyway, we're getting off topic. Just remember this is one car, one type of tire. rF2's tire model isn't limited to this car and this tire - and how this tire reacted. When I talk about rF2, there's many things affecting that tire, but this car and these tires really were hard and this 'dulls' most of those tire punishments. That's all I mean.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by blakboks View Post
    When I get home tonight I'll definitely have to d/l the higher-quality files!
    If you were watching just the YouTube version... forget about it! I don't know if Tim reuploaded the XviD version, but the WMV version is a must to watch. If you have fast internet connection though, go for the 1.82GB H.264 MP4 version.

EDIT:
    The site tells me it is the right amount of bytes. Are you getting a 5.05GB file downloaded, or is it stopping before that?
    Tim, just 1,1GB file. Should I redownload it and give you the exact size in bytes?
    Last edited by LesiU; 11-23-11 at 03:09 PM.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #90

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

No... I can see when I login on our ftp that every byte is there... But it seems not possible to download. Damn... That's annoying...

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #91

Those who got a 1.1GB file... Tell WinRAR to keep broken files and extract what you were able to download. You should then be able to play 1/5th of the video at least if you use VLC media player. It'll at least allow you to see the original quality.

Meanwhile, I am uploading a couple of test versions which hopefully will give a very good Youtube quality. Based on 100% Youtube recommended settings... lol

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Maybe it's because size of file is larger than what you can represent in 32-bit number?

FTP protocol should handle it so perhaps it's a problem with either server or client implementation. If you gave us link again people could exmeriment with different FTP clients.

And by the way - was that video recorded from replay?
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #93

I'm just going to see if I can give a better representation on Youtube for now. The other versions work though.

Quote Originally Posted by K Szczech View Post
    And by the way - was that video recorded from replay?
    No, I recorded it while driving. Which should give you a nice feeling about the framerate. There's some things been disconnected on the replay in the build last week that stopped me being able to do it that way, most notably some of the suspension movement.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    The 1.8 GB-file is a very good one, just the image you would see on your screen when racing... altough I hope I'll get a better framerate than this .
    It looks very good I have to say, the YouTube version doesn't do it any justice though. Makes everything way less sharp so it looks like you have inferior textures, which isn't the case in the 1.8 GB file. Nice lighting after the Piscine btw, you can see the sun is behind you at that moment (I guess? ). Sound is also very good; nice engine sound, the reverberation of it on the walls and the skidding sounds.
    The graphics just really need some anti-aliasing though, especially the thin shadows look horrible now. Also the LOD-distance should be higher, but that's rather obvious I'd say.

All in all, I'm impressed. Thanks for this clip Tim!

PS: I'm wondering (couldn't see it in this clip), will you see the rear axle rotate on the 60's formula cars? It was very obvious in real life, and CARS managed to capture that as well, but I have yet to see it in an rFactor 2 clip (I could be wrong).
    Last edited by Mee; 11-23-11 at 04:20 PM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @feels3 rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Tim

Max Angelo showed some video here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...ll=1#post18122

Between these two videos (rf2 vs real) we can see difference in suspension movement. In the real car suspension seems to be definetly more soft and works smoothly than in rf2.

What do you think about that?
    What's the reason?
    Different spring hardness or something else? (maybe video kills framerate?)
    Last edited by feels3; 11-23-11 at 04:50 PM.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Full filtering is possible framerare wise recording directly with fraps ?

Would be nice that time scale would be set on x30 for next video. The Megane on Estoril or Mills would be nice too.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    The thing that impresses me the most are the tyres, probably the most detailed looking tyres with brake calipers and all that stuff + the tyre rubber texture is so good that it smells rubber. Even the brand name (Dunlop) is visible Also suspension is modelled very well and its movement seems responsive.

The lighting system is ok, but not as polished as it could be. The cars still look cartoonish.

The track have massive amount of details and the sound of the crowd going from your left ear to right ear is a nice touch.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    I really like the visual flatspot.

Going to steal your GIF here for another reason: i was skeptical of the individual spectators but this grandstand works REALLY well. There's a great '3D' look to it.

I'm honestly glad to hear that there are newer and better sounds, because the ones in the video are disappointing. The car sounds like it has a broken exhaust..

Are all the trees 3D objects? If so, can they be slightly rotated? The harbour section looks a little repetitive.

I reckon within a week the modders will have had a crack at Monaco and some things might look a little different

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I think people are getting hung up on flatspots. If you watch a good slowmo of a lockup in modern F1 (for example) you can see the 'burnt' patch of rubber going round as the wheel starts to turn again, even with some smoke emanating from it for a few rotations. It seems more like that's what we're seeing in this video, rather than a decent flatspot. (it would seem possible - though I have no personal experience - such a mark would last longer on tyres that are softer and actually produce a flatspot - since that section of rubber will have less contact with the road and not be 'cleaned up'. On a very hard tyre there is no actual depression created, and the affected area is scrubbed clean fairly quickly. Or am I just talking out of you know where? )

PC Specification Facebook profile @thisiskennyjay Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for taking the hole day to put up this video Tim. As you can see from most of the comments, it was worth it.