Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Tracks
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 1026 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A few laps of Monaco onboard

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #61
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    You know how annoying that is? I searched for that last week and couldn't find it. Bookmarked with thanks.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I really like the visual flatspot.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    You know how annoying that is? I searched for that last week and couldn't find it. Bookmarked with thanks.
    I have a solution to your problem: let me into the closed beta and I'll just make the videos for you.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #64

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
    Well, here's the question that everyone keeps dancing around:

Will this finally get the old GPL-heads to move onwards? If you read a typical GPL forum, you get the sense that they'll give up their precious sim when you pry their cold dead hands off of the steering wheel. But if the physics is faithful to GPL's (note: NOT identical, but a worthy successor in spirit), why wouldn't you switch over? Aside from the default rF2 recreations of Spa, Monaco, etc. there should be a wealth of conversions from GPL as well.
    Obviously I came from a GPL background and I actually went through the same initial teething issues of having to learn the cars (I'd gotten pretty used to modern cars over the last few years). I think it compares, certainly. The main thing with rF2 though is that eventually if you want to do well in a long race, you're going to need to learn how to drive like Jenson Button... Or, you can learn how to drive to the changes in the tires after you abuse them.

As I said in a previous post, these tires are pretty hard wearing, I can't say I have felt 'wear' in them per se, but I have definitely felt them change due to heat if you drive sideways at all times. It's this that is the real difference, plus the weather, obviously. You can actually have a wet race in Belgium now...

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    And the huge XVID file.
    http://www.imagespaceinc.com/downloa...coWIP_XVID.rar - XVID - 5.05GB
    have now loaded the 2x and both times error message "Unexpected end of archive" and the file has only 1.1 GB

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    As I said in a previous post, these tires are pretty hard wearing, I can't say I have felt 'wear' in them per se, but I have definitely felt them change due to heat if you drive sideways at all times. It's this that is the real difference, plus the weather, obviously. You can actually have a wet race in Belgium now...
    Well, if that's only about grip then we have that already in rF 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco H. View Post
    have now loaded the 2x and both times error message "Unexpected end of archive" and the file has only 1.1 GB
    Yup, same here.

Oct 2010
    Very very nice work guys!

One thing I noticed: you can see the trees changing their colour depending on the angle youre looking at them (HDR?). While this is an awesome effect (it really is! I did some textures for rF1 tracks and always struggled to match their RL counterparts colours...), I think its too extreme and noticeable yet. Is this effect also affecting the grass textures? (Would be great too!)

Other than that youre work seems top-notch to me and Im really looking forward to get my hands on rF2 *Building new rig atm*

Greetings

Kiwi

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Looks so vivid!!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I think I must have thought that was a shadow. Nice.

moving gear shifter, like in GPL would be nice. It gives extra visual confirmation that I successfully switched gear and what gear it is (by the position of the shifter).
    Agreed! 100%.
    Last edited by the_last_name_left; 11-23-11 at 12:27 PM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    The video looks great. It is great to see it in action. The only thing that bugged me was the hand animation. Racing 101... shuffle steer.... No one goes hand over hand in a race car. But I am sure we will have an option to disable the distracting animation. It will be cool in replays though.

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #71

Quote Originally Posted by LesiU View Post

Yup, same here.
    Would you prefer that these 1960's tires were modelled unrealistically? You hopefully do understand this is about realism, right? These tires were VERY hard wearing, so that's how we've made them.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2011
    i loved gpl, so i love this video!

i'm waiting for F1 onboard

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Would you prefer that these 1960's tires were modelled unrealistically? You hopefully do understand this is about realism, right? These tires were VERY hard wearing, so that's how we've made them.
    Tim, I think you should read posts more carefully because your answer is in no way related to what I asked about and other people may got confused because of that

Shall we go again?

What you exactly mean by saying that you feel "change due to heat"? Were that only different grip levels, you were experiencing or did you feel the whole tyre is working in a different way (different lateral stiffness, for example)?

If that was only different grip, then this is nothing special... you obviously should feel that in a racing tyre and obviously, you can set this already in rFactor 1 and that's exactly what I said. Nothing less, nothing more, Tim

Nov 2011
    @Tim: Nice to "see" u again
    Looks like, GPL has teached u more or less to drive these cars oh and btw, thanx for providing the video.

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #75

If that was only different grip, then this is nothing special... you obviously should feel that in a racing tyre and obviously, you can set this already in rFactor 1 and that's exactly what I said.
    When you said "already in rF1" about any of this, that can only be about this one type of tire? Not every tire.

There's a very different feeling for me after I have been pushing the tires harder. I'm not just talking about some manufactured understeer. You do not have that in rF1.

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #76

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWilke View Post
    @Tim: Nice to "see" u again
    Looks like, GPL has teached u more or less to drive these cars oh and btw, thanx for providing the video.
    Good to see you, Andy.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Looks great! Please next time with rain or both.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    When you said "already in rF1" about any of this, that can only be about this one type of tire? Not every tire.

There's a very different feeling for me after I have been pushing the tires harder. I'm not just talking about some manufactured understeer. You do not have that in rF1.
    Every racing tire (ok... maybe it'll be safer when I say "most racing tires") is more sensitive to temperatures, compared to road tires. In rF 1 you can have that effect (how tire grip is changing in relation to temp. and pressure of a tire) but most of rF 1 mods doesn't have that implemented properly ;-)

I was curious, what other tire properties are now related to temperature but probably I just have to wait for the beta
    None the less, it's good you feel that tire heat have influence on how car drives.

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #79

Every racing tire (ok... maybe it'll be safer when I say "most racing tires") is more sensitive to temperatures, compared to road tires.
    Of course, yes. I would argue that some racing tires from the 1960s, considering the stresses they were put through, were less sensitive to anything than todays road tires if put through the same stresses.

But anyway, we're getting off topic. Just remember this is one car, one type of tire. rF2's tire model isn't limited to this car and this tire - and how this tire reacted. When I talk about rF2, there's many things affecting that tire, but this car and these tires really were hard and this 'dulls' most of those tire punishments. That's all I mean.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Now me

I could write a note to more than few issues. Some has been pointed already out, other's not. But I guess no onewants to read this So, I have no other way than write about positive things. First thing I noticed is sound of tyres hitting a ground/obstacle. Nice touch. It is one of things which were missing in racing sims - sounds other than engine or tyre while loosing grip.
    Next one is quite correct FOV and perspective. It most sims it looks just bad and unreal. Seeing big wheels just in front is how it looks like in reality. Whole track is nice detailed but more important to me are RealTrack marks. There is for sure a room to improve it but it started to looking good.
    Hope most important issues like flickering objects and shadows will be fixed in open beta.

BTW I'm interested on how z-fighting is going to be solved in new gfx engine (or maybe it is already). I mean a method/technology

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast