Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
NRT Servers
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 475 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Minimum Recommended Server Specs for rFactor 2

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #101
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Possiblity to play in LAN ?
    Yes, but internet connectivity on the network is needed to establish a LAN connection.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @fastorro Where I race Modding Group 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Greats news!

Not a problem, dedicated servers typically have a minimum of 100Mbits, like ours

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fastorro View Post
    Not a problem, dedicated servers typically have a minimum of 100Mbits, like ours
    Are you kidding?
    Maybe on LAN

Newer Member
    Nov 2011
    100Mbits (which is standard for dedicated servers) will most probably not be enough to host a full grid. I've read somewhere that the theoretical max of rF2 is 64 drivers.

Remember the 23Mbits are the average needed for only 30 drivers on the track.
    Let's assume the maximum needed for 30 drivers is 30Mbits. That would mean you'll probably need about 120Mbit for 60 drivers on the track. Keep in mind as well, that your 100Mbit connection won't really handle 100Mbit. No idea what is lost there. It won't be able to host a full grid, that's for sure.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Mar 2011
    64 cars worth of data needs decent connection from client as well.

Our server has 100mbit and it seems it will be enough for us when using rFactor 2, we will that in beta of course.

Bigger problem for us is that we currently run Windows in virtual machine and it looks like we will have to do the same for rFactor 2 as well (no linux dedicated exe, oh whyyyy, be sure to forward this request to someone who can decide something like this Tim), no idea how it will perform. But that will be tested during beta as well.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I'm still thinking that they do wrong measurements or/and the net-code has some issues, I tried to prove in previous posts.
    From this point of view I'm almost sure, it will be working well as in rF1.

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Yep, been hoping for an update but can understand if no one's got the time to sit down and try to work out the figures - we'll be able to work it out ourselves soon enough hopefully

One of rFactor's features is the way it only sends you position data for the closest cars if the server (or client) connection is nearing its limit, so I would imagine large fields won't be as bad as all that in practice (you'll only ever be close to, or really care about, 8-10 cars at any time).

Not sure where the 64 cars thing comes from though... pretty sure we haven't seen anything.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I didn't see anywhere about Tim saying about 64 players limit either. I hope though, the real limit is much higher than that

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #109
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Right now we're waiting for the open beta to test at/above 30 at one time.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    Bandwidth:
    96 Kbits/sec per user for server populations less than 10
    256 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 10 and 20
    768 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 20 and 30
    http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/kb_kilobytes.html

While this is track and vehicle dependent a user can expect something close to these approximations on RAM use:
    Approximately 200 MB per server instance for server populations less than 10
    Approximately 300 MB per server instance for server populations between 10 and 20
    Approximately 400 MB per server instance for server populations between 20 and 30

CPU Usage:
    This is also dependent on the server population and number of AI drivers but we would account for at least 250 MHz per server instance and on modern CPU, for example if you have a 2.5 GHz dual core you can run 20 servers (10 per core, 10 * 250 Mhz = 2.5 GHz) on that CPU if you have other requirements mentioned above meet. Floating point unit required.

These are just guide lines, there are many things that can effect performance of the server.
    I have sent this information to Keyweb AG and asked to check if my dedicated server is good enough for rFactor2:

Now my question to you as a server operator:
    Reaches out for my hardware?
    The extent of my hardware is also sufficient to provide for a Dedi
    a.) 10 clients
    b.) 20 clients
    c.) 30 clients
    d.) 40 clients
    e.) 50 clients
    f.) 60 Clients
    g.) 70 Clients
    h.) 80 Clients
    i.) 90 Clients

For special events like LeMans or Nordschleife should provide a solid basis for 50-70 clients to be present.

Had my root servers targeted for this or do I think of a hardware upgrade?

What do you think? I am with such calculations of bits and bytes is not good enough and have sound knowledge and ask you for a good advice.
    Here is the answer from Keyweb AG
    We have recently worked on your Ticket. Reference Number: xxxxxxxxx
    Here is the latest status:

Hello,

yes - your rootserver with the current hardware configuration, etc. designed for 50-70 clients.

Sincerely
    Unfortunately, my recent posts here a bit confused, but now I'm happy and relaxed

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco H. View Post
    Unfortunately, my recent posts here a bit confused, but now I'm happy and relaxed
    Not to discourage you (I think your server will be fine, personally) but it's all pretty up in the air and very hard to say 100% for sure.

Those traffic figures from Tim are very hazy ("less than 10"? 3? 8? How many on track? How many cars in close proximity to the tested connection? etc etc etc). But, despite all the unknowns, I think a large majority of servers could handle large fields fine in rFactor and 6 years later servers will be able to handle large rF2 fields. The extra goings-on (track condition, weather, perhaps better debris handling) will have an impact but this is still rFactor - which set the standard in its first incarnation for handling bandwidth.

Newer Member
    Nov 2011
    Francesco:

If anything, you'll have the same problems like everyone else.
    I just had a quick look at their website:
    even the most expensive dedicated server they offer, only got a 100MBit connection as standard.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    Not to discourage you (I think your server will be fine, personally) but it's all pretty up in the air and very hard to say 100% for sure.

Those traffic figures from Tim are very hazy ("less than 10"? 3? 8? How many on track? How many cars in close proximity to the tested connection? etc etc etc). But, despite all the unknowns, I think a large majority of servers could handle large fields fine in rFactor and 6 years later servers will be able to handle large rF2 fields. The extra goings-on (track condition, weather, perhaps better debris handling) will have an impact but this is still rFactor - which set the standard in its first incarnation for handling bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highharti View Post
    Francesco:

If anything, you'll have the same problems like everyone else.
    I just had a quick look at their website:
    even the most expensive dedicated server they offer, only got a 100MBit connection as standard.
    My site is not on my dedicated server, but at another provider.
    On my dedicated server to run only rFactor Dedi and nothing else.
    Of course, only practice will show whether your hardware is sufficient, but for 25 clients should be enough already.

Hope so

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    Hm, that's not too hot if you have adequate space and flow around it...
    If you haven't got adequate space... get a fire blanket

Although as Tim says that is not TOO hot you should be able to get lower temperatures by improving the airflow and buying a decent fan. The fan you use makes a MASSIVE difference and the stock fans are usually rubbish. Try overclockers.co.uk or quietpc.

Ooops - bit old this post. Haven't quite got the hang of these forums yet - sorry.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    What ports I need to open for server? Did not find any information about this.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Badblood View Post
    Haven't quite got the hang of these forums yet - sorry.
    We can see that. You're supposed to ask when the beta is coming

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Jan 2012
    Hmm May not have got the hang of it but I have seen enough not to ask THAT question....

rFactor 2 Validated 

Registered
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Badblood View Post
    Hmm May not have got the hang of it but I have seen enough not to ask THAT question....
    lol
    Question isn't important in my opinion anyway, beta-release must be close. Tim has given hidden hints I think Lately he has had an avatar of a submarine, with a 'launching' torpeda, which is hinting on the launch of the beta, and after that he has had a tiger, hinting that we can soon hear the beast roar

on the other hand he does have an avater now where someone is staring in the distance in some natural landscape don't understand the hint in that lol, just kidding, or am I???

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimugp View Post
    ... beta-release must be close.
    You could say that... it's out lol (I'm sure you've discovered by now)

rFactor 2 Validated 

Registered
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    You could say that... it's out lol (I'm sure you've discovered by now)
    oopsie, was reading from high to low, and their are so much post this last day, that I haven't yet seen it LOL

UPDATE :: Indeed, I have read it now. I could say that my post was an epic fail then

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast