Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Mediafire
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 1087 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010

20% Overlay

I decided to tweak these recent rF2 images because I think the HDR effect is overdone.

Method: overlay the HDR version onto the standard version and then drop the opacity of the top layer to 50%

Last edited by mclaren777; 09-29-11 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2010

50% Overlay

Same method, different opacity value.

Last edited by mclaren777; 09-29-11 at 11:11 AM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    The bad thing about these HDR shots is the constant nagging my brains telling me to upgrade my GPU which I cant afford to do!
    Awesome though chaps thanks, they're looking great.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @feels3 rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Tim, could you give us next time few screenshots from early morning until sunset, but with the same car in the same track/camera position?

Some kind of step by step day-night transition
    Last edited by feels3; 09-28-11 at 11:56 AM.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    Same method, different opacity value.
    Looks better. Take it to 75% it may be too strong there.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jun 2011
    mclaren777 you better upload your HDR profile somewhere once they release the game
    Awesome stuff at 20% and 50%

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERbreaks View Post
    mclaren777 you better upload your HDR profile somewhere once they release the game
    Awesome stuff at 20% and 50%
    He is simply doing that in photoshop. overlaying the right side of the comparison shots over the left and then making the HDR layer opaque allowing the un-darkened detail to come through from the non HDR side.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #148
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by 10speed View Post
    Same for me.

So far I am not impressed at all. HDR is unrealistic, you won't see it in the real world. So why would you want to see it in a simulation (game)? There is way to much contrast and the dark areas completely lose their details. The graphics in these latest screenshots are just showing off which might be ok for need for speed, but here it's just a waste of development time. Also the texturing still looks very poor.

What's the problem here? Wrong shadow layer in the template?
    No, it's a sun high in the sky and a horizontal-ish surface next to a vertical one. You get shadow on the vertical one.

Or if you mean the black splotch? That's a WIP fix I think, doesn't look like something I've seen myself though in the software.

Registered
    Oct 2010

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I think we need a video of HDR because the screenshot discussion isnt going anywhere

rFactor 2 Not Validated 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    another question about HDR
    Is it a post effect like a level adjustment layer (overall the rendering layers)from an 8bit color process (shaders and lighting sources) or all the calculations are made in a full float precision and with a virtual camera where you can set your colormapping to have a good control for the contrast highlights/shadows?

if it's not clear you should think how renderers work.
    I know it's different a renderer from a realtime engine but it's a good example of a real HDR processing and HDRi is actually a High Dynamic Range image so if the range it's not so wide, the dynamic of the variations it's not so high and with a 8 bit numbers you can't have an high dynamic.

I have another question.
    With the HDR in rF2 is it possible to "simulate" the retina inertia when you move quickly from an enlighted zone to a dark one? Think about when you are in a tunnel and in a full sun day you exit from the tunnel and for a second your eyes are "exposed" to the tunnel lighting.

As someone wrote, I think a good video can clear the troubles.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    marcatore just asked a fantastic question. I hope someone from ISI can give us a detailed answer.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sg333 View Post
    I think we need a video of HDR because the screenshot discussion isnt going anywhere
    +1

3 laps, time scale x30 should show hdr nicely.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Is it a post effect like a level adjustment layer (overall the rendering layers)from an 8bit color process (shaders and lighting sources) or all the calculations are made in a full float precision and with a virtual camera where you can set your colormapping to have a good control for the contrast highlights/shadows?
    (...)
    With the HDR in rF2 is it possible to "simulate" the retina inertia when you move quickly from an enlighted zone to a dark one?
    Most likely it's gonna be standard HDR implementation running on 16-bit floats (64-bit color) and with the inertia you're asking about.

Full floats (128-bit color) are really not necessary.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by marcatore View Post
    With the HDR in rF2 is it possible to "simulate" the retina inertia when you move quickly from an enlighted zone to a dark one? Think about when you are in a tunnel and in a full sun day you exit from the tunnel and for a second your eyes are "exposed" to the tunnel lighting.
    I would like to see it implemented

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Guys! It's adjustable! You can turn it off completely if you want!

How the heck do we get people complaining about optional, adjustable features? If you don't like how it looks, change it! If you want it more pronounced, go ahead and do that! Seems like some people would be happier with fewer options...

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    Guys! It's adjustable! You can turn it off completely if you want!

How the heck do we get people complaining about optional, adjustable features? If you don't like how it looks, change it! If you want it more pronounced, go ahead and do that! Seems like some people would be happier with fewer options...
    Well ISI sure seem to be pushing the HDR feature.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Well said Lazza. It's ADJUSTABLE. Can't some of you just enjoy the screenshots we are now getting, and REMEMBER they are WIP! rF2 is going to be here very, very soon. ISI have been releasing high quality auto simulators for quite a few years now. Nitpicking WIP screenshots isn't going to help them. Relax....lighten up...take a breath....go outside, and have some damn patience.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I'm sure that ISI appreciates most of the feedback and questions as long as we're not being hyper-critical like shum94.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast