Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Tracks
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 1086 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

Newer Member
    Feb 2011
    I think you are right - the shaders, the reflections, the textures, the shadows all need to be really sorted before you start messing around with things like HDR.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @woodee_uk Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alesi View Post
    yeah!! they makes only 10% (finished in 2012, started not long ago), but there u can find more videos then ISI does (we still looking on some WIP pictures after 3 years). they (C.A.R.S) every weeks making game, its a new build every weeks, they asking for opinion on customers.. what about ISI? nothing, only wip pictures...and new (old) videos, that can makes anybody who can use video programs((( this game will kill iracing, rfactors, and others. And u may continue makes your game, maybe someday u finally finished it, but there will be 2014.. and graphics will be too poor and too old.. WELL DONE!!
    Don't buy RF2 then.

CARS Vs RF2 ..... Apples Vs Oranges

CARS is a community/commercially funded simulator. ALOT different to what ISI has created. You can't compare the two so why bother?
    Dropbox can host your mods (Works with GetMod) Please use this invite link
    Community Driven Wiki -> rFactor 2 Wiki - Contributions welcome!

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    Actually peoples misunderstand what HDR really is...HDR is summary from those effects (SSAO, Bloom ..etc) C.A.R.S use hdr as well to force lighting , but now
    released version using effects very neutrally...everybody who purhased , can push the button and start adjust effects and hdr types..and realize it using HDR ..

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I think you are right - the shaders, the reflections, the textures, the shadows all need to be really sorted before you start messing around with things like HDR.
    First you need to develop a solid lighting system (including shadows of course).
    Then it doesn't matter if you go for HDR or for shaders/materials first. It's only important to get both right.

Sometimes it's also helpful to have HDR working before you get on with serious work on textures. Especially when you're using non-linear tone mapping that can change appearance (brightness, contrast and saturation) of objects.

Actually peoples misunderstand what HDR really is...HDR is summary from those effects (SSAO, Bloom ..etc)
    I can see that you don't understand what HDR is either

Rendering things using HDR means you're unrestricted in terms of lighting, reflections and blending. SSAO has absolutely nothing to do with HDR. Bloom also has nothing to do with HDR in fact.
    SSAO and Bloom are postprocessing effects while HDR is all about freeing rendering engine from restrictions of 24-bit color palette and then fitting it onto screen at the end which may (but doesn't have to) include postprocessing techniques like tone mapping.

In other terms - in HDR you no longer think of colors, but of light intensity. For example - in classic rendering you would say that sunlight is white (RGB = 255, 255, 255). Nothing can be brighter than white and that's it. In HDR however, you can say that sun has the intensity of (0.8, 0.8, 0.8), but you can say that it has intensity of (5000.0, 5000.0, 5000.0).
    So as you can see, the whole point of HDR is to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and calculate lighting in real-life values.

Another example - when you turn on your headlights during sunny day, you'll find that they don't light things up that much, but during night they of course make huge difference. To get that without HDR game would have to weaken headlights during day which is a workaround, not realism.
    With HDR you can make sun produce light intensity of 100.0, moon produce 1.0 and headlights produce 10.0 during both night and day. When camera (eye) will adjust to current brightness of the scene, then you will get the impression that headlights are weak during day, but the actual value of their light intensity is the same.

That's exactly what HDR is for - to work with real values of light intensity.
    Last edited by K Szczech; 10-16-11 at 05:19 PM.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by K Szczech View Post
    In other terms - in HDR you no longer think of colors, but of light intensity. For example - in classic rendering you would say that sunlight is white (RGB = 255, 255, 255). Nothing can be brighter than white and that's it. In HDR however, you can say that sun has the intensity of (0.8, 0.8, 0.8), but you can say that it has intensity of (5000.0, 5000.0, 5000.0).
    So as you can see, the whole point of HDR is to get rid of unnecessary restrictions and calculate lighting in real-life values.

Another example - when you turn on your headlights during sunny day, you'll find that they don't light things up that much, but during night they of course make huge difference. To get that without HDR game would have to weaken headlights during day which is a workaround, not realism.
    With HDR you can make sun produce light intensity of 100.0, moon produce 1.0 and headlights produce 10.0 during both night and day. When camera (eye) will adjust to current brightness of the scene, then you will get the impression that headlights are weak during day, but the actual value of their light intensity is the same.

That's exactly what HDR is for - to work with real values of light intensity.
    Great explanation. Thanks.

Newer Member
    Oct 2010
    like i said , there isn't just HDR...it's many things summary which you see in ya displayed image ..when talking about "HDR" ..below you can take a look Valve's
    method.

http://www.siggraph.org/chapters/sig...01d-technology

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if C.A.R.S. had a development team that was five times the size of ISI (100 vs 20).

Comparing the products made by each studio is somewhat unreasonable.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren777 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if C.A.R.S. had a development team that was five times the size of ISI (100 vs 20).

Comparing the products made by each studio is somewhat unreasonable.
    I disagree with you. Just look at what K Szczech is capable of, on his own.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    like i said , there isn't just HDR...it's many things summary which you see in ya displayed image
    Well, you said something different previously: "HDR is summary from those effects (SSAO, Bloom ..etc)" - that's why I replied

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    ..below you can take a look Valve's method.
    Outdated
    It was designed to be compatible with Shader Model 2.0 hardware like GeForce FX or Radeon X. For example, you couldn't do blending in HDR on that hardware - that's why blending is done in LDR in Valve's implementation.
    Current implementations assume Shader Model 3.0 hardware as minimum (or even 4.0) and therefore are much simplier and allow everything to be processed in HDR.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

PC Specification @Pandamasque 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    yeah!! they makes only 10% (finished in 2012, started not long ago), but there u can find more videos then ISI does (we still looking on some WIP pictures after 3 years). they (C.A.R.S) every weeks making game, its a new build every weeks, they asking for opinion on customers.. what about ISI? nothing, only wip pictures...and new (old) videos, that can makes anybody who can use video programs((( this game will kill iracing, rfactors, and others. And u may continue makes your game, maybe someday u finally finished it, but there will be 2014.. and graphics will be too poor and too old.. WELL DONE!!
    Don't be fooled, CARS is not a new sim, it's NFS SHIFT3.

PC Specification 

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post

Show proof.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    The graphics engine used in CARS is the one used by Slightly Mad Studios for Shift 2. But since Shift isn't a sim the guys got together with this VERY LOW INITIAL COST project called cars and are waiting for you and I to pay for the physics engine development over the next few months and years.

PC Specification @Pandamasque 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    @CdnRacer Look up "Slightly Mad Studios", watch a few videos of Shift and CARS, and then search wikipedia for "logic".
    Also people who tried modding Shift say there are a lot of familiar things in the physics files from ISImotor sims. So Shift could be made as a sim, but wasn't. From other people currently beta-testing CARS I've heard that it feels not much different to Shift2 so far.

PS: after reading a lot of things from the SMS before the release of Shift that all turned out to be spectacular BS, I think it's slightly mad of them to expect that the hardcore simracing fans they so blatantly lied to would fund their next project.
    Last edited by Pandamasque; 10-18-11 at 12:07 AM.

14.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #214
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Some studios start with graphics in their development schedule. Some studios start with physics. Some don't need to do certain things, some do. If you're going to compare two completely different things and in some way make them seem the same, and then complain because they aren't the same, then I'm afraid you're always going to get unhappy answers for your comparisons.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Some studios show only ten percent of the project: the sweet side.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
    I'm going to disagree with that claim. CARS is easily on a trajectory to surpass rF1 in the physics department and it could even give rF2 a run for its money by the end of development.

PC Specification 

I still don't see any proof. Anyways the shift series is owned by EA so I don't understand how cars could be shift 3. Maybe he's a isi fanboy who feels threatened by it. Not sure. Nice try though panda.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    You guys are all completely retarded that say this is just Shift 3. Pay the $35 or whatever the hell it is. Test it out, mess around with it, do whatever. Then go back to the developers and talk to them. Tell them what you felt and listen. You get a say in this sim if you pay.

So far development is going great. Two dev builds into an 18 month projected process and there are a handful of drivable cars and two tracks. Physics are a little wonky right now but not bad. Visually it is stunning. Not overdone washed out crap, and doesn't look like crap. Great textures and models, the whole deal.

I am impressed by it overall so far. I am sure it will give rF2 a run for it's money as well as iRacing. rF2 however will have the modability which CARS will not. I like the competition sims wise. It is great for the industry.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    this discussion on what's better or not.. is really sterile.
    On not finalized products (both)

unbelievable but true

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile Modding Group: Finns on track 

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zild1221 View Post
    I am impressed by it overall so far. I am sure it will give rF2 a run for it's money as well as iRacing. rF2 however will have the modability which CARS will not. I like the competition sims wise. It is great for the industry.
    Funny thing is that rF2 is actually only platform than can offer all of these three components: online play, moddability, offline play
    I could also add dirt racing as an extra, but I'm not sure was it a rumour or feature... Tim?

In what level of success these components happen, we don't know yet. But I am confident they all are well refined from rF1.

For me, rF1 has been the only car sim after NR2003 I've came back for again and again. Having one year iRacing sub and not playing it is a total waste, but hell it is so boring. Papyrus should have stick with offline NASCAR sims, they were best at it. CARS doesn't intrest me at all right now, it seems to be about paying the commercial company for your creative/design input. In normal gaming industry it is vice versa. Feels like scam.

Yes, offering shares of sell is also a scam which is widely used in creative industry.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast