Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Mediafire
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 559 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERbreaks View Post
    Wait a second, 4 gb for system resources when you say "the system needs about 1gb" I think it's the 32bit limit not allowing more than 4gb to an application, as somebody told me in this forum, and not the system taking 4gb for resources.
    You are right I should have elaborated that, for a normal user running Only system processes the system would need (roughly speaking) 1Gb of ram (700 + 300 for working space, might need 2Gb depending on your system configuration) but i run about 20 IE tabs, 2-4 Visual studio, MS SQL server, Sybase server, Photoshop, Remote desktops, Outlook, and 6 screens using displaylinks, with that in mind Im using a solid 4Gb on start and up to 12Gb when debugging etc.

And yes, a 32-bit compiled app. can only allocate 4Gb of ram.
    Last edited by FakeThinkpad; 09-27-11 at 03:49 AM.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Will dedicated servers run in the same manner as for rF1?
    I run a basic server at the moment for rf1, and its an 8 year old laptop, and runs it fine
    IS there any idea of minimun spec available for servers as yet ?

PC Specification Where I race 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    bluenoes, see this thread. (Tim's reply, mainly)

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Well, the release of system specs means the release of the game, at least of the beta, is not so far. The announcement of sys specs is usually made 2-3 month before the release, because is game is finalized enough to make tests. Also, Tim said that will be already playing rf2 before Crhistmas somewhere at the forum (ok he said you`ll be playin by Crhistmas ), and in the facebook comments he said that ISI not considering the Crhistmas time as the the best moment for the release. Looks like ISI are afraid of taking some attention rf2 directly at Crhistmas by other games.

That means only one - rf2 will come (beta or 1.0 we cant know) out at the end of november or at the beginig of december, before the Crhistmas madness begins, or will never come out this year.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeThinkpad View Post
    And yes, a 32-bit compiled app. can only allocate 4Gb of ram.
    What about texture memory allocated by gfx card? Is is a part of this 4GB?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    No. 4GB limit is only per one application. System texture memory is not related to that.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    So under 64bit OS, even 32bit application may to make use of more memory. For example if rf2/mod will require to allocate 5GB for textures, there should be no problem. Am I right? If so, it really doesn't matter that rf2 won't be compiled as 64bit.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    If all textures application is using, are loaded directly into system memory then yes, you have plenty of space. But if those textures are loaded within that 4GB app limit first and then copied into system memory, then you are more limited.
    On the other hand, 4GB limit is big enough even if the second scenario is the right one. If I remember correctly, rFactor with 60 cars from PCC 2007 mod, at Nurburgring VLN layout, consumed slightly below 3GB of memory (checked in the Task Manager).

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Just why I'm asking about (cause I don't know how it works)
    If app pushes textures into gfx card, and doesn't care about it anymore (means textures are not located in app memory space but in drivers one etc), then memory allocated by textures will not be limited by 32bit app memory space limit.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification LiveRacers Driver Page 

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazza View Post
    bluenoes, see this thread. (Tim's reply, mainly)
    Thanks Lazza, missed that one!

PC Specification 

Newer Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris_Ace View Post
    As usual,the more the better I think nobody can predict how a 40 cars high poly under rain would affect the game....Simply because we doesn't have any high-poly mod at the moment
    Just a question: 4and 8 core will affect more the game than an improved graphic card or is it better to have one of the latest beasts on a "simple" core i7?
    I'd be willing to say Enduracers and WSGT2 are probably high-poly mods.

PC Specification 

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch-SCO View Post
    You stated rf2 will be dx9 only, will dx10 or 11 be used on rf2 at a later date tim.

Good question. C.A.R.S with dx11 looks amazing.

PC Specification 

Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnRacer View Post
    Even with dx9 looks amazing.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @rFactor2Updates 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    It looks amazing but it's more taxing that I wanted it to be. I recently built a computer for rFactor 2 but it's running at 100% load with C.A.R.S. on medium/high settings.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nuno_p View Post
    Even with dx9 looks amazing.
    I don't notice any difference.

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #176
    Tim Wheatley's Avatar ISI Staff

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch-SCO View Post
    You stated rf2 will be dx9 only, will dx10 or 11 be used on rf2 at a later date tim.
    Yes, anything possible. Initial release isn't final release.

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #177

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification @timwheatley1979 YouTube Channel Twitch/Streaming Channel Photo/Screenshot sharing profile 

Quote Originally Posted by Omicron View Post
    I haven't been able to see any real tangible difference in any game which was dx9 AND dx10 or 11 compatible. I have noticed that some DX11 titles look good, but I don't know how good they'd look in DX9 because they don't offer it... Like I said, those with dx9 options, I can't see a difference, a real difference, with 11.

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Mainly because at the moment there are no differences. Dx11 in CARS should just offer better performance at the moment, but it doesn't have any new effect compared to Dx9. They will come in future builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
    I haven't been able to see any real tangible difference in any game which was dx9 AND dx10 or 11 compatible. I have noticed that some DX11 titles look good, but I don't know how good they'd look in DX9 because they don't offer it... Like I said, those with dx9 options, I can't see a difference, a real difference, with 11.
    We didn't see any big difference because all of those games just add Dx11 OVER the base Dx9 engine, which is not the way to go. In order to see proper differences you should create a full Dx11 from the beginning AFAIK.

PC Specification 

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Do I neither. CARS' DX9 looks identical than DX11 (except by the stuttering and messed textures in the second one).

There's a second effect called "Youtube". On those little screens, everything looks more beautiful than real life. I played CARS at 1920px@42" monitor and yes, it's nice, but is not awesome as I thought before.

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #180

Quote Originally Posted by Uff View Post
    Mainly because at the moment there are no differences. Dx11 in CARS should just offer better performance at the moment, but it doesn't have any new effect compared to Dx9. They will come in future builds.

We didn't see any big difference because all of those games just add Dx11 OVER the base Dx9 engine, which is not the way to go. In order to see proper differences you should create a full Dx11 from the beginning AFAIK.
    But then you can never compare if they had started over with DX9, either...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast