Home
News
rFactor 2
rFactor 1
Forums
Contact
Company
Technology
Image Space Inc. YouTube rFactor 2 Twitter Image Space Inc. Google Plus rFactor 2 Facebook
Tracks
Try or Buy rFactor 2
$43.99/84.99 Windows Only PCDL
Download rFactor 2 Demo Now!

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 56 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SimRacingPL Shader Pack - discussion

Newer Member
    Mar 2012
    I have the specular power to: 12,000 and is horrible!
    Also decrease and the Fresnel scale and see me worse!
    XOA, you, With photos of the Mercedes Have These put options? or have you changed?

Xoa, your graphics and your configuration is incredible!

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @mariomorais rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I download the 0.91 pack.. but is only the shaders.. There is a new version of MaterialTool2?

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @mariomorais rF2 Rank Laptimes 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Morais View Post
    I download the 0.91 pack.. but is only the shaders.. There is a new version of MaterialTool2?

ups i see now i download SimRacingPL Shader Pack_v0_91a and SimRacingPL Shader Pack_v0_91.zip is for modders.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I gave two links in announcement
    First one is with all tools and manual, the other one is Shader Pack itself (for users).

EDIT:
    Yes, users only need Shader Pack itself, that's why I always provide two packages.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Facebook profile @@MaXyM_SRPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I suggest to rename tools package to "Shader Pack Utilities".

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel.V View Post
    I have the specular power to: 12,000 and is horrible!
    Also decrease and the Fresnel scale and see me worse!
    XOA, you, With photos of the Mercedes Have These put options? or have you changed?

Xoa, your graphics and your configuration is incredible!

This is the configuration i use for the Mercedes:
    It is very important to use a proper spec-map. I made a new spec map with a higher resolution for the Mercedes by using the Template. My spec-maps I use are not dark, not completely white, but slightly grey. Here is a screenshot with the setting and the spec-map:

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Personally I'm not sure spec map must be detailed in that case. Specmap texture is only multiplier, when white color mults by 1.0, and black by 0.0.
    The rest depends on how parts are mapped onto texture. If all objects are mapped onto single texture, then yes, you probably have to use more detailed specular one. But if you have car body separated from other objetcs, you may use a few pixel specular texture just to slightly modify output effect (without specuar texture empty white texture is used).

Why you don't need to "shade" specular texture? Because, in opposite to standard ISI shaders, reflectance is modified by Fresnel parameters. That's why you don't need to make upward faced surfaces more reflective. In reality, side-surfaces has the same reflectance properties as roof. It's enought to play with Fresnel.

Another tip is, you may use alpha channel of diffuse texture to modify specular (check T0 Alpha mode combobox). It may be used as multiplier (0.0 - 1.0) for global specular. For example allowing skin creators to limit reflectance for labels/stickers and other stuff.

best regards
    Last edited by MaXyM; 03-07-12 at 05:25 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    I think you are right with the shading, today I'm going to take a try without shading on the side. But here is a screenshot with the difference between low and righ-resolution spec-map:

rFactor 2 Validated PC Specification Where I race Modding Group: SimRacingPL 

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Parts are not separate models in this case? Those are just lines drawn on the main texture?

Registered
    Oct 2010
    xoa, yes.. if you are trying to reproduce parts just by painting on texture - you may need hires spec texture for it.

BTW: I'm glad that someone started to work with new shaders. It's new quality.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    In reality, side-surfaces has the same reflectance properties as roof. It's enought to play with Fresnel.
    But in reality there are self-reflections.

For example - air intakes of Saleen S7 - horizontal surfaces will reflect sky and they shouldn't, because in reality they would reflect the car. In CG they will look much brighter than in reality, so it's good to darken specular map there and limit reflections looking for a compromise.

Unfortunately I often see just greyscaled diffuse texture used as specular map, which is completely unrealistic. Ambient occlusion texture would be closer to what good specular map should look like.

As for side of the car - it's true it should be as reflective as roof. But on the other hand we don't have realtime cubemaps in rFactor 1.
    This means that while sky will more less be matched with contents of cubemap (also sky, even though different one), reflection on sides of car may betray mismatches between car's surroundings and content's of cubemap.
    Sometimes making reflecions less obvious on sides is a good compromise aswell.
    Last edited by K Szczech; 03-07-12 at 09:13 AM.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

Registered
    Oct 2010
    yes, you are right. It is all about compromises in given environment to get most realistic but still "subjective" effect.
    Thanx for explanation.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LesiU View Post
    Parts are not separate models in this case? Those are just lines drawn on the main texture?

Exacly.

I have tried now both specmaps (with shading and without) but I can't really say what looks better/more realistic. With the shading-layer you can give the carbody less reflections in the lower part, what I think it's more realistic.

@K Szczech: Whats the difference between specular and ambient occlusion?

Newer Member
    Mar 2012
    Hello XOA, thanks for your explanation , You've helped me a lot
    but i have a problem. when i save the .DDS SPECULAR MAP, what configuration i use? because i save and no detect, the rfactor no detect a specular map.

This is my configuration to save in rfactor.

Sin título-1.jpg

Registered
    Mar 2011
    I use the same configuration. Did you assigned the spec map in the material tool?

Newer Member
    Mar 2012
    yes, but the rfactor detect error.

ERROR LOADING TEXTURE FERRARIBALJOBB_23S.DDS TO MATERIAL WCEXTRA3.
    Last edited by Miguel.V; 03-07-12 at 11:29 AM.

Newer Member
    Mar 2012

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Make sure the texture has the correct dimensions. The dimensions of your image need to be "powers of 2", so resize it to that. Some examples would be 256x256, 512x2048, 1024x512, etc.

But maybe you know it already.

Newer Member
    Mar 2012
    yes, I know but I think it is a problem saving on specular map as I keep, because I just change the color of blank_specular who comes in the materialtool2 and even the texture, it gives me problems, I now put: error loading blank_specular texture to materials wcextra3.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Maybe there are problems with your export plugin.
    I think I wrote somewhere on this forum: I suggest to use nVidia tools instead of PS plugin. It is faster because of using CUDA and produces less compression artefacts. Hope it will help.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast