PDA

View Full Version : Performance / Question fo ISI

Nuno Lourenço
03-16-12, 05:07 PM
Again, Looks like performance problems with ATI are being devalued.

My GPU still not used more than 60% and to have 60fps @ 1680x1050 need to switch off most of settings including HDR, Sun occlusion, reflections, etc.

Do you guys (ISI) know the problem? Is that a problem With Gmotor and AMD? Have you talked with AMD to find a soluction? Still get no answer to this since the first beta...

With all maxed out except AA (0xAA) i have 20fps @ Estoril with 10 AI....

Thanks

Specs

Q6600 @ 3.6
6GB DDR2 961mhz
HD5870 1GB
OCZ agility 3 120GB (not stuter thanks to HDD)

magicfr
03-16-12, 05:25 PM
Maybe ISI is sponsored by nVidia.

Tim Wheatley
03-16-12, 06:08 PM
I'm using an ATI card.

All I can really say is that nVidia are in-contact, this means its easier to work with them, while I don't know if AMD are aware we exist.

Foxtrot
03-16-12, 09:39 PM
It seems like pretty much every game I've liked had some kind of issue with ATI cards.

Goanna
03-16-12, 09:54 PM
I too have a ATI card, a 6970 with latest drivers (12.3 I think it is) and I'm not suffering from the problems described by the OP, my settings are as per the screenies below and in my testing to date (always on Mills with 20 cars) my FPS is always above 40.

One thing I have noticed with this game (so far) and another that I play (IL2 Cliffs of Dover) is that they both seem to perform better with cards that have more than 1G of VRAM and struggle to some extent with cards that don't, which is probably no comfort to everyone that has a 1GB card, but that has been my observations so far.

I haven't changed anything in my CCC either, in fact I've never opened it so wouldn't have a clue what those settings are.

My Settings;
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/rf2.jpg

Video Settings;
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/smeefarkya/rf2-1.jpg

magicfr
03-17-12, 03:07 AM
Goanna, do the same thing in EyeFinity 5760x1080, you will get 15fps, going in front of the pits, just because of car's shadows.
And with the same level of visual detail and quality, minus HDR, I get 85-120fps in iRacing with 30+ cars.
Now set the shadow to LOW and the problem is gone.
So I think it's pretty obvious where the dev have to look.
Because there is lots of ways to do shadow, depend how they setup their stencil buffer, if they use deffered light engine, etc. Some combinaisons works bad with nVidia ans some combination work bad with ATI.
Welcome to PC World :)
Now, this is beta, I'm pretty sure they will find a solution.
But first they have to reproduce the issue. Which should not be a problem though.

Goanna
03-17-12, 03:41 AM
Magicfr, could very well be the case @ 5760x1080, and I have no doubt that some are struggling and I also believe it will be solved eventually, I was just commenting to the OP, who's having trouble @ 1680x1050 that my observations in rFactor2 and IL2 Cliffs of Dover that cards with >1G of VRAM weren't struggling as much as ones that didn't.

GauchoRS
03-17-12, 06:13 AM
@Goanna: I noticed, that you are using window mode. My experience was, that window mode gives more FPS than fullscreen mode.

Goanna
03-17-12, 06:52 AM
Got in the habit of windowed mode with my old computer to combat freezes when Alt Tabbing :-) Quick test shows an average of 3fps better in windowed mode (59.187 Windowed & 56.893 Full Screen)

SimonV6
03-17-12, 08:22 AM
although i can get around 60fps and can therefore race Ok, ati does not work well because if i run crossfireX it only uses 50% of each card and yet in single mode it uses 80% and so crossfireX for the game but it only about 15% better fps?

Bart S
03-17-12, 02:34 PM
OP check my specs I have same setup as you but I only overclock to 3.2, I have set my triple screen res to 4940 x 900 on 5870 1gb and it is OC to 984mhz and 1220mhz. I have found this to be the golden resolution for me because 1gb of ram is not enough for 5920x1080. However the moral of the story is I am getting fantastic performance now and everything is on max with shadows on medium. There is something wrong with your pc, 3.6 is asking too much of a q6600 in my opinion. You should also kill all unneeded processes including firefox.

bander
03-17-12, 02:56 PM
would have to send all messages to AMD ATI together and even ISI to solve the problem

magicfr
03-17-12, 05:51 PM
Well usually if Dev contacts ATI they will answers they have special forum for devs.
At work we never had problem with ATI or nVidia, they always please to make a game run better for their GC.
It's never a good advertisment when somebody say game X run better on GC A compare to GC B ;)

Nuno Lourenço
03-17-12, 05:56 PM
I'm using an ATI card.

All I can really say is that nVidia are in-contact, this means its easier to work with them, while I don't know if AMD are aware we exist.

So let see if i understand, after more than 2 months of guys complaining about problems with ATI cards, ISI simply don't care and haven't yet contacted AMD... Hope i'm wrong because so i don't see the point for giving here those kind of feedback...

Tested again not a quick test with shadows low, movies off and shadow blur of @ Estoril with 10 AI starting in last position of grid... 34 fps on grid.

GPU-Z show me 700Mb of vram used so is 1GB is more than enough in this case.

GPU-Z show as well 60% of GPU utilization in this case...

OP check my specs I have same setup as you but I only overclock to 3.2, I have set my triple screen res to 4940 x 900 on 5870 1gb and it is OC to 984mhz and 1220mhz. I have found this to be the golden resolution for me because 1gb of ram is not enough for 5920x1080. However the moral of the story is I am getting fantastic performance now and everything is on max with shadows on medium. There is something wrong with your pc, 3.6 is asking too much of a q6600 in my opinion. You should also kill all unneeded processes including firefox.

Bart can you tell me you're settings ingame and in CCC please? If possible tell me you're fps average in one lap too for me to compare same situations.

Thanks

SimonV6
03-17-12, 06:48 PM
I'm using an ATI card.

Have you not tried to get in dialog with ATI then, so that they too would be easier to work with?
At the moment crossfireX does not really work in rf2, yet in p.C.A.R.S it DOUBLES my fps, would be really nice if the same thing happened in rF2 :)

Bart S
03-17-12, 09:47 PM
CCC on 1 x 5870 =
aa x4 box or narrow tent x6
af application handled
tesselation application handled
next few all on max quality
aa multi
opengl not triple buffered

rfactor2
res 4920 x 900 this is anew setting tonight works much better for me, 1gb vram is not that baddly affected in this res as it is at 5920x1080
everything max
shadows either medium or max
no shadow blur
all other settings on apart from enviro reflects off
crowd mo off
no hr and no aa in game
everything max

oh yeah belgium f1 fps 30 pits 60 ish max 45 avg with a 20 car ai inc me.
ist a lot smoother than any other build.
1 thing I notice is new gt mod is completely different from all previous original content, does not work well for me with other cars as soon as I get to corner with a full field ahead of me.

Tim Wheatley
03-17-12, 10:40 PM
But first they have to reproduce the issue. Which should not be a problem though.

Joe has just about every GFX card there is for testing with, I'm using ATI and don't really suffer, so it is important that you guys keep posting (even if we don't reply) so they can check your cards and try to reproduce. There's no dev deal with nVidia to favor them for you to worry about.

Tim Wheatley
03-17-12, 10:42 PM
Have you not tried to get in dialog with ATI then, so that they too would be easier to work with?
Yes, but i think my post said everything about that already. :(

rubleman
03-18-12, 08:04 AM
I am running in 6970's in crossfire, with 3x23in in eyefinity mode. Disabling mirrors let's me play at 30-70 fps offline. Both cards seems to be used at 98-99% checking with afterburner. If I disable eyefinity and go play on single screen, the fps are well over 100.

Gary Corby
03-18-12, 08:14 AM
Guys, to everyone who seems to think getting AMD's attention is a matter of making a phone call that ISI somehow forgot to make...think again.

High volume technology companies are another world. They are guaranteed to make decisions that maximise measurable sales per developer investment dollar. To get personal attention, ISI would need to demonstrate that rFactor sales represent at least a few percent of the total AMD customer base.

If this were Call of Duty or Skyrim, AMD would be all over it; but it isn't, so they aren't.

MaBo974
03-19-12, 02:51 AM
So I think it's pretty obvious where the dev have to look.
Because there is lots of ways to do shadow, depend how they setup their stencil buffer, if they use deffered light engine, etc. Some combinaisons works bad with nVidia ans some combination work bad with ATI.

I agree, they have to look at shadowing code. This is the only game I have to run with shadow set to low to have a decent frame rate. Btw with build 49 I could set shadows to medium and have a decent frame rate.

magicfr
03-19-12, 03:46 AM
Joe has just about every GFX card there is for testing with, I'm using ATI and don't really suffer, so it is important that you guys keep posting (even if we don't reply) so they can check your cards and try to reproduce.
You didn't reproduce the issue with shadows?

Tim Wheatley
03-19-12, 09:45 AM
Shading isn't complete, and yes we can reproduce things, we haven't said otherwise.

bander
03-19-12, 10:18 AM
Yesterday send a message to ATI and I have responded. Not our problem if you looked, but how many more we are sending you emails best guess.
ISI also Tim, you and your ATI. Not?

magicfr
03-19-12, 10:36 AM
Shading isn't complete, and yes we can reproduce things, we haven't said otherwise.
Ok, I think i missread or didn't read enough, sorry.

MrPix
03-19-12, 05:07 PM
Hey Tim....

I have a new smiley for you to use when you want to express the current state of the build process... feel free to nab it and use at your will :)

.....http://mrpix.org/images/bangheadonwall.gif

Nuno Lourenço
03-19-12, 05:50 PM
Well, in the end i hope that you guys (ISI) establish some contact with AMD in order to make some optimization for ATI guys.

you are developers and i'm sure you want that all can use your product now and in the future so is in your hands take some action with this problem.

:)

Hope to have news soon related to this topic...

Tim Wheatley
03-19-12, 10:45 PM
Yesterday send a message to ATI and I have responded. Not our problem if you looked, but how many more we are sending you emails best guess.
ISI also Tim, you and your ATI. Not?

Not sure what you're asking?

I don't have any issues with rf2, runs smooth, etc, but I have one of the better cards from that series.

I mainly pointed out that I have an ATI card because someone suggested we team with nVidia against ATI. Well, we don't, as evident by me saying I have ATI and no issues.

It's still important that you ATI guys who do have issues keep posting.

bander
03-20-12, 12:32 AM
The best would be to pass as with nvidia that have been in contact with you.

Tim also put you heavy with ati. I jjjjjj payment calls.

a greeting.

Cracheur
03-20-12, 07:37 AM
maybe some of us could ask AMD as customers to support this game:
Here's my request:

"Dear,

I'm a beta user of Rfactor 2, a racing game a company called ISI. (http://rfactor.net/)
It seems that during this beta testing all ATI are suffering from performance AND AA quality issues . On the other side, Nvidia cards seem to do very fine. Now ISI has posted some information stating that is was very difficult to get in touch with the driver support team from AMD. Again, with Nvidia they are in touch and the results are very obvious. In the ISI forum, many people are blaming AMD hardware as the driver support seems not in line with the game. Even on my recently bought 7970 and the performance and AA is very bad.

As far as I've read, AMD was planning to work very closely with game developpers to ensure best possible experience and perfomance on all AMD cards. Why would'nt this be the case for this game? ISI states that have no preference at all and want the game to work perfectly on all GFX cards.
This game will become huge! and it will certainly become the standard in racing simulation with a short period of time. Considering that AMD is offering the better tripple screen support (mainly used in racing of flight) it seems pretty strange that AMD would not want it's cards to be optimized for this game.
BTW: I'm sure as well that RF2 will become the platform for professional simulations. SO i personnally believe that AMD has all possible interests to support this perfectly.

Would be nice to get a feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.

Claude"

bander
03-20-12, 10:17 AM
A ver si nos toman en serio .Buen mensaje ,el mío fue mas corto pero acabe diciendoles que" no me diera vergüenza decir he comprado una ati"

and it feels so bad the game but can do better.

Cracheur
03-22-12, 08:30 AM
here's the AMD reply... better then nothing.

"Thank you for your feedback
I will forward your request to our engineering team. In the meantime can you submit your feedback to the catalyst crew feedback which will go directly to our engineering team, in this link: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3
You can check our upcoming drivers release notes to see if your issue has been resolved"

Tim, at what level are you stuck with AMD?

bander
03-22-12, 09:24 AM
In it we are Tim, ordering messages to see if they want to speak with you or buy the game and they same arrange it it would be nice .No?. I have said to him that should pass for ISI's forums and should see that really there is a problem.

bander
03-22-12, 09:29 AM
And that is clear that the game loads me well, I go with almost quite completely, in stall of Malaysian 45 frames.pero has to improve because still things are absent in rfactor 2 that are going to consume mas frames.como water drops windscreen-wiper, water curtain this seran effects that were squeezing the graphs to ceiling.

Cracheur
03-23-12, 04:00 AM
Hola bander, sorry it seems that the translation tool you're using has been having too much Rioja....

bander
03-23-12, 09:06 AM
google: Mad:;)

chuckyeager
03-23-12, 10:09 AM
Great improvement for me this 69 release
I can now drive with shadows and hdr, it is smooth, but bad weather is the problem, big lag, ai positions on track changing brutally back and forth... unplayable with rain or changing conditions.