PDA

View Full Version : Mapping channels in RealRoad shader.

feels3
03-03-12, 05:17 AM
Mapping channels in realroad shader are now hardcoded.

This limits the creativity in road texturing.
Especially specular and detail maps should have their own separate mapping channel.

feels3
08-15-12, 02:42 PM
Bump :)

Another suggestion is to move normal map channel from 1 to 2 (the same as spec and multi map).
ATM normal map is sharing channel with main diffuse map.
Usually diffuse map is stretched on long distance and at sunset&sunrise when normal map is more visible, track textures look like in low res..because normal map is also stretched in the same way as main diffuse map.

I think it could look much better if all these three maps (normal, spec, multi) will share the same mapping channel.

Fabio Pittol
08-15-12, 04:39 PM
I read somewhere from ISI that normal map is using channel 1 because it's supposed to reproduce the long cracks on the surface, not the small, grainy ones. These are meant to be highlighted only by specular. Maybe that's the better way to achieve both results. Otherwise it would be necessary to have 2 normal maps, for main diffuse cracks and for multiplier grains.

I'm not sure but I think I read that FFB is affected by RealRoad normal map. My maybe it's something I dreamed of! lol

feels3
08-15-12, 04:49 PM
Yes, it actually works how you described but it doesn't look good at sunset&sunrise.

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/GRAB_019.JPG

When normal map is similar to spec and multi map, final ressults are much better.

K Szczech
08-15-12, 05:33 PM
Sometimes you want normalmap to cover bigger area:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/0O8WWYwXh84/0.jpg

But sometimes you want it to be seamless and represent some detail:

http://images.photo.bikestats.eu/zdjecie,600,26957,20080707,droga-bruk-328-nowe-miasteczko-przemkow.jpg

That's why it should have it's individual channel and not be attached to anything :)

Fabio Pittol
08-15-12, 10:02 PM
Yeah, a individual channel would be great!

I'd like to hear something from ISI regarding to this.

Joe Campana
08-15-12, 10:24 PM
If the shader you are referring to is "Road Shader Two Diffuse Maps" - the mapping channel assignments are:

road tex ch0
marble tex ch 1
spec tex ch 1
bump tex ch 0
groove tex ch 3

not to be confused with the texture slot each map is in. this is the mapping channel used by the texture sampler. channel 2 is not used in this shader.

Perhaps an alternative real road shader with different mapping channel assignments would be useful. unfortunately in dx9 you don't tell the shader which channels you want, it tells you which channels you get. :)

feels3
08-16-12, 06:15 AM
Perhaps an alternative real road shader with different mapping channel assignments would be useful.

The best way would be to have free choice but if it isn't possible it would be nice to have few variations of real road shader :) (just like blended grass infield shader - there are 3 versions)

K Szczech
08-16-12, 09:35 AM
unfortunately in dx9 you don't tell the shader which channels you want, it tells you which channels you get. :)
Yeah, but if shader will use separate channels for two textures, you can just put desired UV into these channels and get what you want. It doesn't matter which channels are these as long as they're separate.

If shader uses one UV channel for two textures, you're stuck with it.

Unless you've run out of interpolators to pass data from vertex to fragment shaders, it's worth separating these channels.
Squeezing some data differently into interpolators or reconstructing it in fragment shader (like reconstructing normal vector from tangent and binormal) is often helpful if you're on the limit.