PDA

View Full Version : How to set up 3ds max for spline mapping?

Essemo
02-26-12, 12:33 AM
I'm trying to implement the realroad technology on one of my converted tracks. I've had a look at the various tutuorials but I can't quite work out how to get started.

Is there a specific setting in the viewport I need when I start working on the race surface object? Am I supposed to separate it from the rest of the scene before I try to do the spline mapping? Also, if there are multiple race surface objects, do I need to join them together to do the spline mapping?

So far, I'm struggling with it. At the moment, when I display the race groove material on the race surface and then open the line tool to start creating the spline, I find that the line is drawn underneath the scene so I can't actually see what I'm doing.

I guess I'm probably making some stupid mistakes and missing some things that are simple and obvious to others so any help I can get to overcome my ignorance would be much appreciated.

freew67
02-26-12, 12:58 AM
What version of max are you using?

Turn on wireframe/temp lower track/draw a rough line first, raise it, then adjust it to fit the track better/select edge in middle of track, loop, create shape, and use that spline to start adjusting, all just suggestions.

Essemo
02-27-12, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your reply, freew67. I am using max 2010. My computer crashed after I posted the original message. Seems like my graphics card might be dying. Working again now but not sure for how long. I will give your suggestions a try and see how it goes.

freew67
02-27-12, 09:54 AM
Hope this helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foydgOcFstY